Mopar Smallblock LA 318 burns tons of Oil

thanks for your answers. meanwhile i assembled the engine again .... put rtv silicon on all the intake-chambers (intake side and head side)
--> still the same:(

but i was able to run the engine again and get the oilpressure and compression.
Oilpressure looks fine.... the compression is attached ...

thanks for your input dave: but i can't follow you at this time
what do you mean whit the " front and rear rails"??
is that the place where the rubber or cork gaskets should be installed?
fyi ... as the edelbrock manual says ... i did not use this gaskets, just put a
1/4 inch thick rtv silicon coat on it instead of the seals.

IMG_2998.JPG

thanks for your answers. meanwhile i assembled the engine again .... put rtv silicon on all the intake-chambers (intake side and head side)
--> still the same:(

but i was able to run the engine again and get the oilpressure and compression.
Oilpressure looks fine.... the compression is attached ...

thanks for your input dave: but i can't follow you at this time
what do you mean whit the " front and rear rails"??
is that the place where the rubber or cork gaskets should be installed?
fyi ... as the edelbrock manual says ... i did not use this gaskets, just put a
1/4 inch thick rtv silicon coat on it instead of the seals.

Sascha

Yes you guessed correctly as to what Dave meant by "rails". If those are not matched to any other machine work, they could cause your intake to sit too (edit) LOW AND ALLOW THE INTAKE TO SUCK OIL. TRY THE GASKETS, THEY WOULD POSSIBLY RAISE THE HEIGHT.

For anyone looking 6bar=87psi, 9bar=130psi... I am unfamiliar with the tool used for that printout, but I caution that if the readings were taken electronically (I suspect) they are not accurate numbers so much as a cylinder comparison. still not ideal, but you haven't run enough to have broken in anything as far as I can tell.

That brings up the question of camshaft break in. Careful you don't or haven't already gotten into trouble here... at startup the prelube wipes away... too many starts with out a full break in run could kill a cam.

Since you have run it again, pull the plugs to see which cylinders are the problem. That will narrow things down a little. If you find oil in all cylinders, either something went wrong installing the valve seals or the intake ... consider trying the stock intake and carb for break in and testing... All I can think of at the moment.

no more idea where to looking at .... next step: install the original head again :(((

11001933_793176167404426_6529259587324647084_n.jpg

no more idea where to looking at .... next step: install the original head again :(((
This first please...
Since you have run it again, pull the plugs to see which cylinders are the problem. That will narrow things down a little. If you find oil in all cylinders, either something went wrong installing the valve seals or the intake ...

New idea: i got the wrong oil. They sell me 5w30 instead of 10w40. Could that be a issue??

Are these ported at all? And the rtv on front and rear is it completely squeezed out when you remove the intake? Try a dry fitment with old intake gaskets and see if you have a gap on front and rear. If ported they might have broken through the oil passage on common wall between intake ports or a casting flaw or pore there. I would run oil pump with electric drill while intake manifold is off and make sure oil is not leaking from this passage.

One sealing issue I have seen with "LA" engines is that the locating pins for the end seals are to long. Chrysler has a drilled passage in the intake for this and most aftermarket manifolds do not. This will keep the manifold from sealing correctly. I always remove the pins, and cut them down so they only protrude into the gasket 50 %. then bolt the manifold down. Also when tightening the manifold bolts, do it in small steps, and repeat until proper torque is achieved. then go back and check one final time. Small block manifolds tend to warp as you tighten them down.

One sealing issue I have seen with "LA" engines is that the locating pins for the end seals are to long. Chrysler has a drilled passage in the intake for this and most aftermarket manifolds do not. This will keep the manifold from sealing correctly. I always remove the pins, and cut them down so they only protrude into the gasket 50 %. then bolt the manifold down. Also when tightening the manifold bolts, do it in small steps, and repeat until proper torque is achieved. then go back and check one final time. Small block manifolds tend to warp as you tighten them down.
Agree! Pins are not needed! Pull them out!

Oil in the intake chambers sounds like a intake manifold leak. I normally remove the locating dowels from the ends, discard the end gaskets and use hi-temp silicone like Ultra Black. I also use a thicker intake gaskets and open up the bolt holes on any aftermarket manifold to allow the intake to seat it's self, the last two intakes I purchased (Edelbrock) had the bolt hole's slightly out of alignment. UNLESS you had prior issues before
Do this. Dont ask me how I know.:(

sorry to disappoint you guys (and my selfe :( ) the locating dowels of the intake manifold are already removed (i did that whit the new edelbrock manifold). and the front and end seals seams to be fine ....

sorry to disappoint you guys (and my selfe :( ) the locating dowels of the intake manifold are already removed (i did that whit the new edelbrock manifold). and the front and end seals seams to be fine ....
Okay, lets back up a bit, was your engine running fine before you changed the heads, and intake. one thing people forget about is the oil passage in the heads to lubricate the rocker arms. If your engine ran fine before, then it has to be in one of the heads.

ok... you are right ... face some more facts.
before i did al that, the engine was running well, but not dense (left head leaked a lot of oil (just outside))
so, i did all the new stuff. (heads, cam, rods, intake, msd.. ,.... )

... after that the car actually runs fine ... so i drove out to the garage of trust to adjust the ignition.
there was no oil-burning so far, but we found out that the oil pan was leaking.

...so i got back to a friends garage to fix that oil pan leak. after that i run the engine again ...
engine was running well, but soon we found out that the pcv valve was blocked.... so we had
a overpressure under the valve covers....

... from now on we are present .

thx

Back