Mopar Smallblock LA 318 burns tons of Oil

fury69

Reaction score
Hi Dear Mopar Friends

I Did a lot of Changes on my 318. Replace the Cylinderheads with Edelbrock 60775 and did several other Changes and replacements (new compcam camshaft, new lifters, new pushrods, new Oilpump …and so on).

After the First start actually the Engine starts great runs and sounds good, but after a few minutes it started to smoke hard and burns allot of Oil. After removing the Intake Manifold i saw a puddle of Oil in all of the Intake Chambers from the Cylinderhead, so my first Idea was to Replace the Intakemanifold Gasket. After doing that twice with different types of Gaskets, the problem was still there. So much Oil running trough the combustion chambers that it starts Dripping out of the Exhaustmanifold’s Gasket!

So my next Idea was that the original Intake Manifold does not match with the Edelbrock Cylinderheads (subsequently it will suck oil and air from under the Intakemanifold). So i ordered the recommended Edelbrock Intakemanifold with all the Edelbrock gaskets and replaced it again.

No Changes still the same Smokemachine.

From now on i stuck completely, i have no more Idea what else to check or to try.

i would be grateful for any idea or input.

thx

sascha

I don't have a reference piece or time at the moment to figure out how the pcv valve is shielded from sucking oil... but that is my first thought here. You didn't mention, but if the pcv valve is installed just pull it from the valve cover and leave it connected to the hose... if oil is splashing out of the pcv grommet, the valve cover should have some sort of baffle to prevent sucking oil and its missing.

You are burning oil very quickly after start up, by your description, and that is my first thought as to what may suck oil into the manifold. I suppose valve guides and seals are possible... but I don't think that matches your description quite as well.

I would stop looking at intake gaskets, unless you have other vacuum leak symptoms.

p.s. Now that you found this place... stick around and share some pics of your car. We love pictures and we love projects almost more than finished cars.

thanx fot your answer. there is no pcv valve installed at this time. both of the valve covers are open, and the pcv port on the carburetor ist closed.

thanx fot your answer. there is no pcv valve installed at this time. both of the valve covers are open, and the pcv port on the carburetor ist closed.
That leaves you with oil control rings and valve guide/seals... pull the spark plugs and keep them in order... it will help you isolate which cylinders are contributing to the problem.

I ran into a problem similar to this recently, although nowhere near as extreme as yours. I had replaced one of my heads on my van with a rebuilt one that had been shaved, and the manifold could not properly mate with the gasket on that side. I got some specialty gaskets from SCE gaskets which eliminated the problem. They are much thicker and a bit softer so they can seal an imperfect area. Your manifold and heads need to match up very precisely for things to seal like they should. If you have puddles of oil in the intake passages of the head, it is a pretty safe bet that it is coming into the cylinders from there. Taking out your spark plugs is a GREAT idea because it will isolate which cylinders are experiencing the influx of oil. Try to verify FOR SURE that the oil is pouring in through the intake passages in the head(s).....take it apart and look for evidence of a trail of oil making its way into the chambers. If it is indeed coming in that way, either something is cracked, or you have a sealing/gasket issue; in that particular scenario, the only thing separating the head's intake passages from large quantities of oil is the manifold itself, or the manifold gasket. I am sure if there's something I am missing, somebody will correct me on this.

Hi Dear Mopar Friends

I Did a lot of Changes on my 318. Replace the Cylinderheads with Edelbrock 60775 and did several other Changes and replacements (new compcam camshaft, new lifters, new pushrods, new Oilpump …and so on).

After the First start actually the Engine starts great runs and sounds good, but after a few minutes it started to smoke hard and burns allot of Oil. After removing the Intake Manifold i saw a puddle of Oil in all of the Intake Chambers from the Cylinderhead, so my first Idea was to Replace the Intakemanifold Gasket. After doing that twice with different types of Gaskets, the problem was still there. So much Oil running trough the combustion chambers that it starts Dripping out of the Exhaustmanifold’s Gasket!

So my next Idea was that the original Intake Manifold does not match with the Edelbrock Cylinderheads (subsequently it will suck oil and air from under the Intakemanifold). So i ordered the recommended Edelbrock Intakemanifold with all the Edelbrock gaskets and replaced it again.

No Changes still the same Smokemachine.

From now on i stuck completely, i have no more Idea what else to check or to try.

i would be grateful for any idea or input.

thx

sascha
Oil in the intake chambers sounds like a intake manifold leak. I normally remove the locating dowels from the ends, discard the end gaskets and use hi-temp silicone like Ultra Black. I also use a thicker intake gaskets and open up the bolt holes on any aftermarket manifold to allow the intake to seat it's self, the last two intakes I purchased (Edelbrock) had the bolt hole's slightly out of alignment. UNLESS you had prior issues before
Hi Dear Mopar Friends

Last edited:
thx for your help guys. sorry for long time no answer. the valve guide seals was an issue (but why should they leaking all the same??). anyway.
i removed the heads, free the valves from the springs just to see that the «hats» was allright.

in that same turn we did a «paper print» between the intake manifold and the cylinderheads just to see that the have the same angle and the channels fit's
well together

there are 2more issues i'am thinking on.

-1 doubt on my self, my work (did a lot of engines (never a 318), commercial and private, they all run well)
-1.1 the manifold torquing issue (details here: http://forums.edelbrock.com/forums/...opar-smallblock-318-7576-intake-how-to-torque )

-2 TOO MUCH OIL PRESSURE. (why?? the pressure balance valve of my new oilpump could be damaged) ---> IMPACT the space under the valve covers is flooded in oil (too much for the valve guide seals)

thx

sascha & d.

@cantflip
(sry almost forgot the pics ;) )
IMG_1376.jpg
IMG_2136.jpg
IMG_2173.jpg
IMG_2183.jpg
IMG_2439.jpg

Last edited:
So I apologize if I'm missing something but from what you say, you removed the valves from the heads, and put them back. Did you, or anyone in a shop, measure the valve guide clearance on the heads? Did you replace the seals after you removed the springs and valves?

the valve shaft seals are fine (believe me). -> but they work just like a umbrella(right?!)
which take me back to my "too much oil pressure issue". if there is to much oil pressure the "hats"(as we use to name the ValveShaftSeals) will stand in a puddle of oil which is too much for that umbrella task .... (please some body should stop me if i'am so wrong whit that)

That is a sweet ride, worthy of a repeat...
img_1376-jpg.78236

Your oil problem is beyond my experience and I don't want to take wild guesses. Earlier guesses covered basic, common issues. Isolate the problem area as best you can, inspect everything for the umpteenth time, IDK what was in the Edelbrock link (I couldn't view it). You seem to be doing all of the right things, at least from here.

Please let us know what you find, I am really interested in this problem.

If you have that much oil in the head the pan would be dry, and with new almost new heads the guides should not let that much of anything in air, oil. Sounds like someone decked the block and neglected the front and rear rails and your manifold will not seal on the intake face because front and rear are holding it up just enough.

If you have that much oil in the head the pan would be dry, and with new almost new heads the guides should not let that much of anything in air, oil. Sounds like someone decked the block and neglected the front and rear rails and your manifold will not seal on the intake face because front and rear are holding it up just enough.

That is the most plausible explanation, so far. I have never done a "paper print", I had thought it would have covered this ground... Dave, I am as usual, very impressed. Thanks.

If the intake gaskets are leaking because of fitting issues there should be vacuum present in the crankcase. Remove the oil cap on the valve cover and ck for vacuum, block off the other side if a breather is present

But won't the leaky manifold gasket add to the crankcase vacuum?
Yes, if the intake gaskets are leaking internal you will have crankcase vacuum. If you remove the PCV valve and block off the breather you should not have any vacuum present and may actually have some pressure

Back