For Sale Mopar superseded part #s (Books that have the #s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty mopar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Tempe AZ (hotter than a turd on a frypan)
Contact seller
So here is another thread part of which I copied from an answer I gave to someone asking about why numbers change, etc.

superseded: change vendor, change design, change material or sometimes somebody farts and they change the #....I have seen #s superseded 20-30 times... it can be insane.....just in case you think I'm a liar or on drugs (it has happened before) an example is shown from a 1949 Supersedence list...I've got lots more all the way into the 1990s............

casting #s: if the part is color coded and plastic there is a casting # but it is not the number in the part book

BB28HW7 is RF WHITE FASCIA MOLDING 4388176 cast on part
BB28HX8 is RF BLACK FASCIA MOLDING 4388176 cast on part
so the part is the same except for the color

above:
HW7 W=white 7 is how dark it is typically white is 1
HX8 X= black 8 is how dark it is typically black is 9

above are from the early 90s so it is not following typical usage

diecast parts are often close but not the # in the part book
manifolds can be a digit off or not even close
Assemblies such as a lens pkg have a number but that # is for the lens/gasket, the lens will have a part # on it but it is a casting #
Same goes for a Taillight assy that has a bezel, lens, gasket and a housing

2809161 L T/L LENS/GASKET 1968 NY 2853449 cast on the lens
2809174 R T/L LENS/BEZEL,GASKET 2853314 cast on the part 1968 Fury

Any part in my database that has a casting # on it that is not the serviced part # I keep as a reference so I can ID parts that have come out of the package or
I found somewhere with no ID

Stainless and aluminum trim almost never have a # on them... one out of 1000 might.....I have seen it with my own beady little eyes....

NOW here goes... the following is out of a 1976 superseded part book

U means superseded to

NS means obsolete, discontinued, no longer available or as my buddies at the dealership would say "NFG" (no f...ing good)

I picked some pages from the book that are around 1969-70 part #s

I got these books from the 1940s through the 1980s. They came to the dealerships on a regular basis (if you can remember nobody had a laptop or a computer) so things came in paper form. They gladly gave them to me along with the part books that were issued about 4 times a year. So I have a good collection of them. Unless you were in the parts dept. ordering mountains of parts like I was you wouldn't know these existed.

I have 16 of these from 1976-1996 for sale at 20.00 each

DSCN6013.JPG

DSCN6014.JPG

DSCN6015.JPG

DSCN6018.JPG

DSCN6019.JPG

Last edited:
In many cases, the then-current price books had the most recent changes in the rear section of the price book. GM price books were similar.

As I recall, there were more "NS_" numbers than just the most common "NS1". It was amusing when I saw a then-late-model S-10 Blazer with the TX license number that started with "NA1*____".

Back when Chrysler acquired AMC-Jeep-Renault, in order to track the inclusion of the Jeep numbers (which were in a similar format as GM and existing Chrysler part numbers), all of the Jeep numbers changed into a "transitional part number" for a few months or so, THEN changed into a normal Chrysler part number. Which probably made the dealership warehouse people, inventory managers, and Parts Depot operatives' jobs a lot easier.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

NS1 – Cancelled Part

NS2 – Do Not Service

NS3 – Discontinued for Service

NS4 – Service in Assembly

NS5 – Service Component Parts

NS6 – Service in Package

NS7 – Cancelled Never Used in Production

NS8 – Make Trim

NS9 – Service Dealer Paint to Color

Thanks Marty. The casting numbers really are maddening. If the casting number was going to be different from the part number, it would have been helpful if they had used a casting number system that was distinct from the part number system. Since the numbers are so similar, it wreaks havoc- especially 50 years later.
Thanks again for all the information.

Consider the casting number as a "design" or "engineering" number not used by the parts operations. That way, they could get the same part cast by different vendors, even on different continents, and then use a part number that would identify the source of the part (vendor-related).

I noticed the "one number off" casting numbers on plastic trim parts for Chevrolets, too. Not a hard and fast rule, back then, but was prevalent for a while in the '70s and '80s. In some cases, the other related numbers due to colors, were also cast into the back of the GM parts.

Just some observations,
CBODY67

then there were specifier bulletins

also recall or campaign numbers lots of them start with C3940

example

C3940189 CARB PULSING SOLENOID U4240127 /CARTER 1983-84 /318 I have 10 of these

the depots sent these out to dealerships w/o cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back