More opinions!!

furyus 67

Reaction score
clutch fan or mechanical?? After swapping out transmissions again my mech fan started making contact with the bottom lip for the tank on the rad. (Same trans mount) I recently pulled the rad out and painted it. It seems to not touch when spun by hand now( about 1" of clearence. I've got a clutch fan and a 1" spacer for it but it will still be a few inches closer to the motor than the mechanical fan.( sticking out of the shroud) I'm wondering if you gentlemen may have recommendations and opinions on which fan I should use and why. Thanks!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

If your rad is in good condition keep it simple and go mechanical would be my suggestion. 1" from the rad sounds too close. Get a smaller spacer. My .02.

If your rad is in good condition keep it simple and go mechanical would be my suggestion. 1" from the rad sounds too close. Get a smaller spacer. My .02.
That was my thought on keeping it simple. Wasn't sure about the space between rad and fan. I'm not sure the space is separate from the fan or not Mmmm..... I know the clutch fan stops spinning after a certain speed and can save hp and mpg. Other than that what are the humidity of a clutch?

If all is the same from before the trans swap then something is not right. Fan or rad didn't change. 1/2" to 1" spacing rad to fan is correct. A fixed blade fan will move more air then a clutch fan but will sacrifice a little economy and be a bit noisey. Depends on what it's used for. I swapped the clutch fan for a fixed blade fan on the Admiral when I started towing with him.

If you are only 1" away from rad how do the blades bolts come out without removing the rad?
I've gotta pull the rad to get the fan off. As stated previously , these Mopars are fairly new to me.
If all is the same from before the trans swap then something is not right. Fan or rad didn't change. 1/2" to 1" spacing rad to fan is correct. A fixed blade fan will move more air then a clutch fan but will sacrifice a little economy and be a bit noisey. Depends on what it's used for. I swapped the clutch fan for a fixed blade fan on the Admiral when I started towing with him.
Personally I'd rather have more air moving through the rad. As far as something not being right I'm not sure. It was a simple R&R on the trans. Biggest difference being the replacement was a stock 67' and the one pulled out was a bit of a Frankenstein of torque flights. Older valve body w/newer trans case and a lock up pump I'm told is out of a newer O/D . Not really sure how it worked at all.

I put an electric fan in a truck with a 400 a few yirz back and it worked great. The new fanz are alot more powerful than in the old daze.

Herez a vid:

Back