more questions...

moper

Reaction score
Eastern CT, 2 stoplight town, Columbia, CT
So I'm ordering the FSM, but in the meantime...

How does one remove the door panels in these cars?!! I can't figure it out - took out the screws including the grab handle ones and the map storage ones.

How does the door release come off?

What years interchange in terms of doors? I have a bit of rust work to fix my drivers front. Might be faster/easier to source a replacement door.

The inner door panel has a series of plastic grommets that slide in a recess cut into the cardboard on the inside of the door panel. A number of companies make a tool for popping them out of the door frame. You need to be careful doing this as the grommets are easily ripped out of the cardboard. The door handle on the inside will usually have an Allen screw thru the center of the handle. Others had a snap ring on the back side of the handle. Can't remember which years are which. When you get the FSM, it has illustrations on how things go together. There is a free download of the '66 Chrysler & Imperial (Combined Manual) FSM available at www.mymopar.com in the tools/reference section of the website.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I downloaded the manual and I have an assortment of plastic tools for interior trim panel removal. The issue is the center of the door panel - It will not loosen or pop out. I'll remove the door release lever now that I see how that connects. But the info on door panel removal is hard to follow in that manual... I'd prefer not to destroy then - they're in decent shape. I just can't see what I'm missing here.

Open the door map pocket and find the 2 large caps, remove them to access the main screws holding the door panel on. Also, you must remove the door pull. After loosening the door release handle, unscrewing the door lock button and maybe a couple of obvious screws, it is then all about the clips.

Yup - got all those (cept the door release which I'll get when I'm done working my real job...lol). I got what I think are all the clips around the perimeter too so I'm putting all my faith in the door release handle.

Also - Anyone within 150 miles of 06237 have a good condition driver's front door? I think any 62-66 Imperial will work.

Just loosen the door latch release handle, don't try to remove it. As you pull the panel toward you, it should slide off its shaft. You will also need to remove the power window/door lock switch panel, disconnect the switch bank, and remove it in order to get the wiring through the panel to remove it completely.

Back