More to come!

MacLebaron

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Been a while since I have posted any updates on my car. Fortunately, I have some new info to share. Picture below with more details to follow soon.
87DC1A0F-81DE-4743-AA12-7F50E660C205.jpeg

Step 3: Rust Neutralizer
RustNeutralizer_9235.jpeg

Step 4 Primer & New Roof Seam Filler
Prime1Fil_9261.jpeg

Step 5 Second Primer & Filler Sanding
Prime2_9266.jpeg

Prime3_9267.jpeg

Sand Primer & Spot Putty
LastPrime_9284.jpeg

Step 6 Paint Top
Paint1_9294.jpeg

Paint2_9292.jpeg

Before anyone asks....... No, I am not painting it yellow, or turning it into a taxi (go broke buying gas). This was left over and I just wanted to seal and protect the top. This will be covered with a new walnut levant grain vinyl top soon. More to come!

I wonder how many cars would have been saved from rot under the vinyl tops if they would have just painted the roofs under the vinyl?

I wonder how many cars would have been saved from rot under the vinyl tops if they would have just painted the roofs under the vinyl?
A lot! Unfortunately, the vinyl top allowed them to take a short cut on the finishing, compared to one without a vinyl top.
I was very lucky on my car. Had some heavy surface rust on the front, but no serious issues or rust through.

Step 3: Rust Neutralizer
View attachment 511915

Step 4 Primer & New Roof Seam Filler
View attachment 511916

Step 5 Second Primer & Filler Sanding
View attachment 511917

View attachment 511918

Sand Primer & Spot Putty
View attachment 511920

Step 6 Paint Top
View attachment 511921

View attachment 511922

Before anyone asks....... No, I am not painting it yellow, or turning it into a taxi (go broke buying gas). This was left over and I just wanted to seal and protect the top. This will be covered with a new walnut levant grain vinyl top soon. More to come!
What product did you use to fill the joint?

They would certainly be way better. Except for the ones like mine that rusted from the inside.
When the damn things leak the carpet gets wet and works on rusting your floor until it gets warm then the greenhouse effect sends that same water up above the headliner where it can get to work on the roof.

They would certainly be way better. Except for the ones like mine that rusted from the inside.
When the damn things leak the carpet gets wet and works on rusting your floor until it gets warm then the greenhouse effect sends that same water up above the headliner where it can get to work on the roof.
I believe it was a fiberglass filler.

I had a 70 Fury with a perforated roof, lots of very small holes. I think the vinyl top was replaced. The roof could have been rusted from the inside, but I always thought the vinyl top became permeable and held water against the roof.

Glad you're doing it right!

I had a 70 Fury with a perforated roof, lots of very small holes. I think the vinyl top was replaced. The roof could have been rusted from the inside, but I always thought the vinyl top became permeable and held water against the roof.

Glad you're doing it right!
Thank you for the kind words! I am trying, but it has taken me a lot longer than I anticipated. I am trying my best to get her back to a good driving dependable ride. She deserves to be back on the road eating up miles, instead of rotting away frorm neglect.

Thank you for the kind words! I am trying, but it has taken me a lot longer than I anticipated. I am trying my best to get her back to a good driving dependable ride. She deserves to be back on the road eating up miles, instead of rotting away frorm neglect.
Hi Mac,
Every project car I've owned has taken twice the time I thought to get it on the road. You are not alone in that problem. Ben

Hi Mac,
Every project car I've owned has taken twice the time I thought to get it on the road. You are not alone in that problem. Ben
Hi Ben, You are correct! Glad to say I am more excited about this car than any of the others I have owned with the exception of my first car….. a 68 Plymouth Satellite.

Back