Moving an Imperial on a Uhaul trailer

A number of years ago I towed a 3/4 ton pickup truck cross country without the benefit of a trailer. Knowing it was too big to fit a trailer, reasoning it only got 8 mpg on a GOOD day and having to choose whether to leave it behind or not, I found a reputable welder to put me together a tow bar to attach to the frame (after removing the front bumper of course) that would bolt into the existing frame holes where the original bumper mounted onto. It was allowed to hinge up and down on the frame to handle bumps and dips using hardened pins. Unlocking the steering wheel, removing the driveshaft, attaching safety chains from a heavy duty tow chain and wiring in the truck's tail lights as tow lights allowed me to drag it 880 miles from Dallas Tx to Panama City Beach, FL on the back of a 24' Ryder moving van. It even provided me with additional storage for what wouldn't fit into the moving van, such as my ride on mower.

That was back in 2008. Today I am faced with a similar move from PCB to East Texas in a little over 3 months, this time with a 73 Newport. I intend to follow the same course of action to drag my beloved Chrysler with me to my new home.

Having lived in a tourist town for over 12 years, I've seen many motor homes dragging behind them their family cars to vacation here on a similar manner. It is cheaper than a trailer and in some cases, you can resell the tow bar on Craigslist or eBay when the trip is completed.

Just a thought for you to consider for transporting a big car across long distances.

Uhaul used to rent towbars.

Kevin

Last time they rented tow bars was in the mid-'80s. Those have been gone for many years.

They used to rent chain saws and backhoes, and Casita camper trailers, as well.

I think its been ten Imperials shipped to me in different trailer configurations...about a dollar a mile...not worth the hassle to go get them for me with even a slight risk of anything breaking...But, if you have a lot of time and looking for an adventure I guess it would be worth it.
20200616_024443.jpg
20200616_024526.jpg
20200616_024755.jpg
20200616_024918.jpg

Guess what everyone. The Imperial is at my place now, hauled down by a guy I found on Uship. He had a Ford F250(F350?) and a rather heavy duty 22' trailer. Cost me 1000 bucks, I didn't have to do any of the driving, and everything went well.

So thanks everyone for chiming in. I never would have guessed that this thread would go four pages. I thought the task of getting it here was going to be the hard part, but now that it is here I think it will be harder getting it presentable. Eh, that's the fun, right?

Guess what everyone. The Imperial is at my place now, hauled down by a guy I found on Uship. Cost me 1000 bucks, I didn't have to do any of the driving, and everything went well.
Where did they haul it from, as I see it's now in GA.? I've haven't looked at UShip and how they work, thanks.

It was in Connecticut. I really didn't want to use Uship because all I've ever seen from them was Billy Bob with his F150 and tow dolly. When I signed up I immediately got several quotes from trucking companies that were around 1300-1400. And then add-on Uship fees and the insurance which doesn't seem to be able to be opted out of.

So I ended up with little better than Billy Bob, but he had an F350 and a heavy duty flatbed. He took good care of the car and it arrived unharmed. He was working the system and wanted me to accept his offer through Uship so we could communicate privately, but then cancel so I could pay him directly and Uship wouldn't take a cut of what he was bidding. I don't know if everyone does that, I guess if they did Uship would go out of business.

It was in Connecticut. I really didn't want to use Uship because all I've ever seen from them was Billy Bob with his F150 and tow dolly. When I signed up I immediately got several quotes from trucking companies that were around 1300-1400. And then add-on Uship fees and the insurance which doesn't seem to be able to be opted out of.

So I ended up with little better than Billy Bob, but he had an F350 and a heavy duty flatbed. He took good care of the car and it arrived unharmed. He was working the system and wanted me to accept his offer through Uship so we could communicate privately, but then cancel so I could pay him directly and Uship wouldn't take a cut of what he was bidding. I don't know if everyone does that, I guess if they did Uship would go out of business.

That would have been a red flag for me. Scam artist. Uses Uship to find his work for him, cancels and then back solicits them.

Glad it ended well for you. Not sure it would be so good if there was a claim involved.

Kevin

I agree. Normally I would have told him to pound sand. But I was working from a position of extreme weakness. I was pressed for time, the seller was pressed to get the car out of his garage, and I was worried that the scam was that if I accepted his bid then told him to get lost, he'd create trouble for me since I had gone that far. Really I think he was just a young guy trying to start his own trucking business and needed the extra couple hundred bucks. He was careful with my car so I'll hold judgement. If it were a nicer car, then it would have been a different story.

Back