My 68 Polara convertible story

bigbadsubaru

Reaction score
I will have to dig out pictures (I'm at work and all my pics are on my home computer) but I suppose I should introduce myself and my beast :p

First of about me, I'm Andrew, 33, married, no kids, currently live in Vancouver, Washington (Just across the river from Portland, Oregon, and I'm a validation engineer at Intel

In 2005 while I was at Wyotech I needed to find a project car. Found a 66 Newport convertible for sale, but the guy wanted way too much for it, and didn't have the title. After looking at a 67 Suburban and a couple of Camaros I decided I wanted a convertible land yacht, so I put the feelers out on Craigslist. Guy in Denver emailed me and said he had one, $750 and it was mine, so that weekend I rented a U-Haul trailer and drove from Laramie to Denver to pick it up.. The car BARELY fit on the trailer, and since we couldn't get it to run getting it on the trailer was interesting to say the least! Got it home, cleaned the leaves and junk out of it, hunted down a battery, poured gas down the carb and cranked it over with a screwdriver on the starter relay and it fired up! Several months later I towed it to school and rebuilt the engine, and in the following class I did most of the body work, and fabricated a new lower quarter panel and part of the trunk floor that had rusted away (Only rust on the whole car)

After Wyotech I dragged it back to Oregon and it sat in the driveway at my parents house, and then at my house once I rented a place (Garage wasn't deep enough though) and I tinkered with it, got the engine and transmission back in and got it running and driving (albeit not very well).. Few years later I finally got inside storage for it and was able to work on it some more, then I lost my storage and she went back outside for a few months until I found the storage unit I have now. By this point the custom car market was fully in the toilet, and since I was tired of not making any money turning wrenches, I went back to school for network engineering and information systems security. Late 2014 I decided to start going through all my junk in storage and reorganize it and sell some of it so I'd have space and time to work on the Polara (Shortly after I got the storage unit in 2010 my wife and I split, and so all my stuff from her house went into storage with the car), almost got the shop to the point where I could work on it and my wife and I (Been married since 2012) decided that we wanted to save for a house, and in order to do so her mom and stepdad said we could live with them so we could pay stuff off, since the lease on our apartment was up at the end of January.. In the middle of January of 2015 I lost my job, the day before we were going to put an offer in on a house.. 6 months later I had a new better paying job and we started working on paying crap off and we are now currently looking for a house, found a few with good sized shops/garages just hoping that the barge will fit! I will post pics soon, exterior wise it's almost ready but still has a long way to go!

The car had sat outside since like 1980, so the interior is pretty much gone (Few scraps of the top clinging to the bows, seats are pretty much just the frames, door panels were completely trashed, no trace of the carpet, dash top is cracked, and it needs a windshield) but the sheet metal is solid. I have to replace a fender and a door (Both of which I have, just need to be put on), and I plan on pulling the front suspension and the front clip off as well as dropping the rear axle, as it pretty much needs all new brake hardware, as well as all of the suspension bushings and such, in addition to undercoating and paint, and I need to pull the engine and repaint it.. Goal is to have it ready for my 20 year HS reunion in 2020 (Originally I wanted it done for my 10 year but that didn't happen!) My biggest roadblock is going to be the interior, I was hoping to be able to find a 2 door shell to rob the interior out of but no such luck, will pretty much have to make most of it from scratch as nobody makes restoration parts...

IMG_2004.JPG
IMG_2006.JPG
IMG_2005.JPG

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Welcome, again, and thanks for the back story.

So you worked in the custom car industry? My condolences, I never really understood that side of the business very well. I worked the repair side, aftermarket and then dealer... everyone seems to want to go racing or build hot rods... but there aren't many who seem to profit from it. I screwed around with whatever for fun, but made my living putting them back to as God and the factory intended.

Your car appears to have lots of potential. What is your ultimate goal, stockish cruiser or wildly modified? Don't worry, I'm not too much of a purist, and most here will go for a basket case rebuild in almost any direction that keeps it from the crusher. I may pipe up if it appears something unsafe or unwise is occurring...

Welcome, again, and thanks for the back story.

So you worked in the custom car industry? My condolences, I never really understood that side of the business very well. I worked the repair side, aftermarket and then dealer... everyone seems to want to go racing or build hot rods... but there aren't many who seem to profit from it. I screwed around with whatever for fun, but made my living putting them back to as God and the factory intended.

Your car appears to have lots of potential. What is your ultimate goal, stockish cruiser or wildly modified? Don't worry, I'm not too much of a purist, and most here will go for a basket case rebuild in almost any direction that keeps it from the crusher. I may pipe up if it appears something unsafe or unwise is occurring...
I never worked in the industry, I graduated just in time for the economy to go in the toilet and take the custom car market with it. I worked in a motorhome plant for a year and spent 5 years with Toyota/Subaru before I went back to school. I still do car stuff on the side though

Back