My 68 Sport Fury

ws23jrt

Reaction score
I'm rather new to this site although I've spent much time reading here.
I'm getting very close to retiring and am struggling with the question about taking on another project.
This car has been in my back yard for many years and I know that It's not good for it. So my post is to show what it looks like and get some feedback about it.
Currently I have no room for it inside and need to make up my mind about what and when to do something with it.
It's a 68 sport fury fast back with 440 and ac. What gives me pause about selling is how nice these car look when done and I know it would be great to drive and show. I also have a good handle on what it would take to bring it back.

IMG_0072 (Large).jpg

IMG_0073 (Large).jpg

IMG_0074 (Large).jpg

IMG_0077 (Large).jpg

IMG_0079 (Large).jpg

Welcome to the forum! Is it a factory 440 car? Either way, restore it... Please.

Power disc brakes, A/C, 440 yea i would restore it. The dual snorkle and A/C is what Stan calls "the holy trinity"

Welcome to the forum! Is it a factory 440 car? Either way, restore it... Please.

It's a factory 440 car auto. bucket seats. (seats stored indoors). Some of the "slab sides" have been bondo fixed as the pictures show. The trunk pan is toast. The drivers side floor has holes in it.
If floor and trunk panels were/are available it would help me with my decision making.

That leads to a question.---How are these issues dealt with when panels can't be had?

A Very skilled body man may be able to help you. I would take it to get a quote and go from there. That's what I will be doing with my '66. Or you could restore the drivetrain and run the snot out of it.

Welcome to the site. Being close to retirement you'll have the one thing I have very little of time.

I will have more time when I retire but I also have accumulated more projects than my predicted life span can accommodate. We of advanced age deal with different things than do the young.

Sounds to me like you got sellin on your mind? My plate is full with my project. But I'm sure a factory 440 Fury would find a home here. I sure dig it

Sounds to me like you got sellin on your mind? My plate is full with my project. But I'm sure a factory 440 Fury would find a home here. I sure dig it

Selling is always a part of a decision like this. For me my other projects crowd my thinking.

It's something many should be thinking about as ideas and cars come by.

I bought this car at a swap meet in the early nineties. I drove it home and used it as a driver for several years.
My intent at the time was this is a good car to save from the scrapper.

For now I'm not selling. But I'm also practical.

Oh, man if I was in your position, I'd be tormenting over this, too.
You think on the
Even no. Days: It needs to be done and I can't afford it, and
Odd no. Days: Abeauty like this comes along once in a lifetime.

Welcome, nice car!

:sSig_greetingsthor: ............. :welcome:

I feel your pain brother. You have what could potentiality be a really nice cruiser. All the right stuff, (well, maybe if the top went down it would be better). Not a cheap project from what I see, but a worthy one. It would need to be a labor of love.

As far as trunk and floor pans ..... You might check into readly available B body sheet metal that can be modified to work in a C body.

You likely will become upside down in the car if you decide to restore. That being said, if the decision is to sell then you'll come out OK selling as is.

JMHO
Will.

Selling is always a part of a decision like this. For me my other projects crowd my thinking.

It's something many should be thinking about as ideas and cars come by.

Absolutely. Took me a while to figure that out as things piled up, but the older we get, the more precious our time is. Sometimes the best thing to do is send a project to someone who will give it the attention and time it deserves rather than letting it waste away.

But then again - it's quite a vehicle to own. No idea what your other projects are but as someone else suggested - might be time to re-evaluate the 'to do' list and weigh it against the others.

I will say that bodywork is getting to be more of a PITA to get done it seems. The '52 Ford F-1 project (that I got rid of) ran into the two extremes: shops who want to only do collision/insurance jobs, and the ones who think so highly of themselves that they will only do a Pebble Beach restoration, no repairs or just a sand/fill/prime/paint job. It's the one unexpected bummer with the car I recently picked up with a rotted passenger side front floor and questionable quarter panels. Tried specifically to avoid it but bought based on photos and phone calls.

You at least have the advantage of knowing exactly what you've got going forward, and the comfort of knowing you could likely sell it easily if you chose to. A good place to be sitting.

Back