My engine is being a jerk!

Since it had been sitting about a week, I went and started the car yesterday (in park). Just for kicks, I pulled the transmission dipstick. The level was waaaaay high, like 3 inches high. The word "check..." on the dipstick was covered.

I put the car into neutral, and also selected all gears. Went and checked the level, and it was back to normal.

So, (FYI), there is a significant amount of "drain back" during sitting, and never trust what level you see in "Park".

Something I would mention, that I don't think was already suggested, would be that it might be a good idea to flush the trans cooler lines.

On my high mileage Honda Odyssey I mounted an external cooler in line with the factory cooler. Upon the first drive, I was puzzled as to why the cooler felt only slightly warm. When I tested the fluid flow by removing the lines and running it in neutral, I discovered that while there was plenty of pressure and flow at the line going into the factory cooler, fluid would only barely trickle at the output side. So I flushed the cooler repeatedly with kerosene and compressed air until the kero coming out was clear. After that, the flow was strong through the cooler.

Totally different vehicles I realize, possibly something to think about.

That will happen, in a roundabout way. Radiator is going to the shop for re core and complete service.

The existing “cut and repaired” lines are being replaced with new stainless tubes.

Back