My lens making thread.

Now it's going to be "over restored"!

:poke:
See now you have options. If you don't want the perfect lens you can opt for the first mold with the character so it doesn't look out of place on your driver. ;)

@pomonamissel has had great patience with me, and his 1960 Rambler lenses. I have finally achieved the end result I was looking for. The 5 lenses posted are the rejects.

It seemed everything that could go wrong happened, from burning thorough the clear coat several times and then waiting a week before the clear I was using to cure, so it could be buffed out.

I had my compressor crap out and then my products shelf life expired, which I didn't realize until after making 3 lenses with these mystery contaminants appearing. The contaminants ended up being a film which dried over the product, in the container.

It was all worth it. Many ideas on paper were eventually achieved and the next time I will be able to take a straight path to reach my goal.

20200822_113752.jpg

You have really come a long way since starting this whole new experience of lens making. Your work is just incredible and a testament to your tenacity to get it right and your dedication to the task. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Don't have that many "thumbs", but the ones I do have are all "UP". Great work.

They look good to me as is, but as they say. "Looks can be deceiving", what's wrong with them?
One is actually perfect but has a clear coat applied so not selling. 3 have a couple small particles. One has a slight wave which usually only happens when I don't heat my mold beforehand.

Generally, installed on the car, you really wouldn't notice the flaws unless you really inspected it. They all would be better than probably most of the orginal lenses which have clouded, the color is perfect.

I agree w/ Mopars and Missiles your craftsmanship is of top shelf quality. Your development of this process is well thought through. The finished product speaks for its self. Congrats my hats off to you.

I agree w/ Mopars and Missiles your craftsmanship is of top shelf quality. Your development of this process is well thought through. The finished product speaks for its self. Congrats my hats off to you.
I agree, Mike will never get a manufacturing job in China!

Only question I have is....What others can you make? I'm no expert but those lenses look pretty darn good to me.

Only question I have is....What others can you make? I'm no expert but those lenses look pretty darn good to me.

At this point it is mainly size. I have a 10 gallon pressure the mold must be able to fit inside. I have the pot laying on it's side. Correction the longest lens I can make is 14"". The mold must be a minimum 1" longer than the lens. I of course need a decent orginal lens to make a mold from.

Last edited:
At this point it is mainly size. I have a 10 gallon pressure the mold must be able to fit inside. I have the pot laying on it's side. If I remember correctly I have 16". The mold must be a minimum 1" longer than the lens. I of course need a decent orginal lens to make a mold from.

Mike:

You continue to be my hero! Terrific craftsmanship.

Zymurgy: Ok I'm going to pretend I remotely understand the physical process....Can you make for example a '60 Imperial Taillight lenze? A '62 Taillight lenze? I realize you'd have to make a lot of them to make it worth your while, just curious!

Zymurgy: Ok I'm going to pretend I remotely understand the physical process....Can you make for example a '60 Imperial Taillight lenze? A '62 Taillight lenze? I realize you'd have to make a lot of them to make it worth your while, just curious!
I should be able to make either one of those, but as mentioned before I would need a decent orginal to make a mold from.

Thanks....I'm not in the market right now I just need information for future references! One more thing: What's the largest lenze you could make? length, width, ect.?

Thanks....I'm not in the market right now I just need information for future references! One more thing: What's the largest lenze you could make? length, width, ect.?

I can probably do about any width and depth because I have made the wrap around lens for my 66 300. Length is the one restriction. I double checked and 14" is the longest I can make.

Back