Need floor measurement

Jeff

Reaction score
20170304_173515-crop.jpg
I am looking for the measurement between the two points shown on this photo from a 1970 Fury 4-door (or another 4 door with the same floor pans). If someone has their interior out and can measure it for me, I would appreciate it.

The reason is that I received a carpet from Trim Parts and the molded hump for the front seat belts is about 4 inches too far forward. I think it is because their mold is from a four-door, but I want to see if the dimensions are different before I talk to them about it. Thx.

There is a difference between the 4-door hardtop and 4-door sedan as a result of extra reinforcements on the hardtop.
The hardtop belt mounting is further back by a few inches. Even the seat-belt retractors are different, it was my impression that the difference was to put the spool in the same location on both cars.

The floors on both the 4-doors and 2-doors weather sedan hardtop or convertible are all the same. The floors are also shared across the Chrysler Plymouth Dodge lines with only the filler panel (the 9" section between your arrows) being different.

The only reason for the carpets to be different is for the seat-belts.

I assume you have a 2-door and the belt bulge doesn't line up.

I can measure my 4-door sedan to both the hump and the mounting.

Alan

It was hard to get pics to show the problem, but the arrow in one picture shows the actual belt hump, and you can see the molded hump is in front of it. In the other one, my hand (apparently channeling Spock) is over the actual hump. I went to the ACC website and they have 2- and 4-door versions. Trim Parts does not. :(
20170515_203214-arrow.jpg
20170515_203357_001.jpg

I did a lot of thinking about which vendor to use, but did not consider that the molds might be different or notice that Trim Parts only has one. Your measurements will help when I call, and I appreciate you taking them.

FWIW, the Trim Parts carpet I bought for my 300 didn't have this problem.

i bet if you talk sweet to them they will make it right.

you may have to pay your own shipping back. but id call that even if they will swap you out.

i thought my carpet was all wrong, but it was the carpetlayer . . . .

$.02

try not to get rugburn -

- saylor

There goes my theory. The molded hump on this carpet is about 15 inches from that shelf. My seatbelt hump is about 13 inches, or slightly less. Maybe it is operator error, as saylor suggests, but i have the carpet firmly up against that shelf. It's molded to fit the shelf so i cant move it further back.

Thx for taking the measurements.

Trim Parts has been a pleasure to work with, both before the purchase and after. I explained the issue and they sent it to the carpet supervisor. He said their carpet mold is from a two-door and the center of the seatbelt hump is 15 inches from the rear shelf. That is consistent with the carpet I received. My seatbelt hump is 12-13 inches from the rear shelf, which is also what Alan measured on his 4-door sedan. The supervisor thought my floor might be different from their 2-door mold because mine is a convertible.

My current theory is that I need a 4-door carpet, even though it is a 2-door car, because the convertible floor must be closer to the 4-door floor. It would be interesting to get a measurement from someone's two-door non-convertible to confirm that the seatbelt hump is 15 inches from the rear shelf.

I took a pic of mine. 70 Chrysler 300 convertible, Trim Parts carpet. This is against the carpet on the shelf, so you might have to allow for that (1/2"?). My carpet fit great.

My Chrysler has a 123.5" wheelbase. The 70 Fury has a 119.5" wheelbase. Could they be using a Chrysler floor mold?

I think that is it John. The tag on the box is labeled "1969-78 Chrysler C Body." I searched the website for the 1970 300 carpet and the part number is that same as for my car. Are the additional four inches of your wheelbase added to this section of the car? Thanks for the picture and the measurement.

I tightened the bolts on my seatbelt assembly tonight and it measures about 11.5 inches from the center of the hump to the shelf. I'm attaching a couple pics to rule out that I am installing the seatbelt wrong, but I am pretty sure it is correct.
2017-05-18 19.40.16.jpg
2017-05-18 19.40.25.jpg

I think that is it John. The tag on the box is labeled "1969-78 Chrysler C Body." I searched the website for the 1970 300 carpet and the part number is that same as for my car. Are the additional four inches of your wheelbase added to this section of the car? Thanks for the picture and the measurement.

I tightened the bolts on my seatbelt assembly tonight and it measures about 11.5 inches from the center of the hump to the shelf. I'm attaching a couple pics to rule out that I am installing the seatbelt wrong, but I am pretty sure it is correct.
View attachment 125124 View attachment 125125
I think that is where they add the length. Someone else may have that answer though.

The first thing I thought was you might have had the seat belt in wrong, but I can't see any other way it would go in.

When I took the old carpet out, it was an ACC carpet that was purchased through Legendary by a previous owner. It didn't fit right, particularly around the seat belt and whoever installed it used some padding under it. It seems to me that it was the exact opposite of your problem.

The flat panel just in front of the shelf drop is the difference, the panels front and rear of that are the same.

It is that 9" or so panel between the arrows in your picture.

Alan

Thanks Alan. It's about 6 inches on mine. It must be 9-10 on John's. Is the following an accurate summary? I want to share it with Trim Parts.

All models of 1970 (other years?) C/D/P use the same front and rear floor panels, but the flat panel in front of the shelf is several inches wider on C and D. Within a division (C, D, or P), the floor configurations are the same on all models. The four-door hardtop may have a different seatbelt configuration, but the spool should be in the same location as the other models.
Translating this to my rear carpet, it would fit fine if it had another 3-4 inches in the rear footwells.

Trim Parts is going to give me a refund, even though I already put holes in the rear portion. They only asked that I cut the pieces in half and send a picture.

Bad news: Stock Interiors just confirmed to me that they also only have a Chrysler C-body mold. I understand that they get their carpets from ACC. Thus, as far as I can tell, there are no carpets available that are specifically molded for the Fury. I hope someone can prove me wrong. Has anyone obtained a Fury carpet that fits well?

Back