Need headliner material and new front seats

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
1977 Town and Country. Headliner is solid so I am guessing I just need fabric. I think I see seat cover material on the SMS website and I see them mentioned here. I am guessing they just supply material?

SMS supplied original OEM fabric for my seats and headliner, and they restored the door panels. I had the seat covers made locally.

SMS supplied original OEM fabric for my seats and headliner, and they restored the door panels. I had the seat covers made locally.
So they sent you the seat and headliner material and you sent then the door panels to them to get remade?

I'm guessing you installed the headliner?

Getting the product they can be slow. I did my interior early in the resto process so wasn't in a hurry.

Yes sent them my door panels and had the headliner locally. Door panels were exact and overall I'm very pleased.

Headliner is pressed fibre (fibreglass?) of some kind with a fabric like covering. Nobody makes a direct replacement. I cleaned mine as best I could and put it back.

Headliner is pressed fibre (fibreglass?) of some kind with a fabric like covering. Nobody makes a direct replacement. I cleaned mine as best I could and put it back.
Looked like fabric on fiber. I figured I would get something close in the cloth department and glue it on. But thinking that through, it might be too heavy. Maybe a dye or just cleaning it. Dye might get tricky. I have water stains on the front section and a hole where they must have put a small stove pipe in the rear left. Oddest think I have ever seen but a circular hole too big for a CB antenna.

Good thing I don't need it! Just the drivers seat seat portion has separated seams on the inserts.

Could an upholsterer resew it onto a backing cloth and reinstall it?

No, you will need new material to replace that insert and a Upholster to do it right. Anything less will look like an ametuer did it.

SMS offers great product but they are hot/cold on service, you pay upfront and it can take a year plus to get your stuff.
DSC01608.JPG
DSC01745.JPG

If your seats are all vinyl then a good trimmer can locate matching material and either repair or duplicate your seat covers.
This is my rear seat, before and after. My trimmer removed and disassembled the lower cushion, stiched new inserts into the original bolsters with exact material he had in stock.

SMS offers great product but they are hot/cold on service, you pay upfront and it can take a year plus to get your stuff.View attachment 110609 View attachment 110610
If your seats are all vinyl then a good trimmer can locate matching material and either repair or duplicate your seat covers.
This is my rear seat, before and after. My trimmer removed and disassembled the lower cushion, stiched new inserts into the original bolsters with exact material he had in stock.

On your suggestion, I think i will find out from my local AACA buds where everyone goes for upholstery and see if I can just get the one seat done locally. Hopefully I will have your luck.

IMG_1723.JPG
Got this today from SMS. Very impressive. Super old-school, but how else would you do it! I will check the colors later when I get to the shop.

For those with solid headliners in their formal, they sent a sample of material for the headliner. It is no where close to stock, but matching. It is listed as 'foam backed' so I am guessing some kind of soft foam.

Has anyone reglued new fabric on an old hard fiberous headliner and did it work? I'm afraid of glue dissolving the old headliner and the weight making it sag.

If the headliner is hard and removable you must remove all of the old headliner. I purchased a cheap same material thin blanket and used a can of 3M general spray adhesive. You must work fast depending on temperature and do both headliner and hard liner. Get someone to help you and do a dry fit. Mine turned out O.K.. Maybe there is a video on YouTube?

If the headliner is hard and removable you must remove all of the old headliner. I purchased a cheap same material thin blanket and used a can of 3M general spray adhesive. You must work fast depending on temperature and do both headliner and hard liner. Get someone to help you and do a dry fit. Mine turned out O.K.. Maybe there is a video on YouTube?
The existing headliner is 'flexible' and removable. It is not that hard plastic type that one would stretch and glue vinyl too. It is a very thin fabric bonded pretty permanently to about an 1/8" of some kind of fiber.

Back