Need help Identifying Motor

ezslim

Reaction score
All,

I am currently looking at buying a 1965 Custom 880 convertible. The owner is not completely sure about the motor but claims the motor is original and that the car had a "bigblock" possibly a 440.

My research indicated that the cars came with a 383 or optional 413 motor. I spoke to the owner again who looked through his paperwork and an appraisal says its a 318. Again my understanding is that these big cars never came with a 318. It is a 1965 Dodge Custom 880 from Florida.

The car is 5 hours away so I am hoping to get some insight from the gurus of the forum on the motor. I have attached a picture - not sure if it will help. Also, is there a specific spot on the motor where we can get info on the motor? I can ask the owner to check.

dodge motor.JPG

Looks like a Poly 318, if it was a big block, the distributor would be right behind the alternator.

All,

I am currently looking at buying a 1965 Custom 880 convertible. The owner is not completely sure about the motor but claims the motor is original and that the car had a "bigblock" possibly a 440.

My research indicated that the cars came with a 383 or optional 413 motor. I spoke to the owner again who looked through his paperwork and an appraisal says its a 318. Again my understanding is that these big cars never came with a 318. It is a 1965 Dodge Custom 880 from Florida.

The car is 5 hours away so I am hoping to get some insight from the gurus of the forum on the motor. I have attached a picture - not sure if it will help. Also, is there a specific spot on the motor where we can get info on the motor? I can ask the owner to check.

View attachment 314528
Not a big block. They all have the distributor in the front. This one has it in the rear. I would say it is a 318 poly.

No question it’s a poly 318. Just so you know I don’t think that is the original motor colour it’s should be more of a red tone. Looks like some work was done to it as well.
I also see he has done a rattle can paint job on the firewall but don’t know if that means anything. Tell us more about it.

Seller lives here in Canada but purchased the car from a neighbor in Florida and shipped it up north. Said he had the motor rebuilt by a local shop in 2010 and painted the car back then as well. Here is the listing:

1965 Dodge custom 880 convertible | Classic Cars | Ottawa | Kijiji

I guess its not an original motor. I cant imagine this car has any real power from the 318. This car is a tank. Bummer.

All,

View attachment 314528
Quick ID of 318 poly is two bolt valve covers. These were a very wide engine and were often mistaken for a big block. All modern Mopar big blocks have the distributor at the front of the engine as noted. 392 Hemi was the last big block with a rear mount distributor.

Dave

Seller lives here in Canada but purchased the car from a neighbor in Florida and shipped it up north. Said he had the motor rebuilt by a local shop in 2010 and painted the car back then as well. Here is the listing:

I guess its not an original motor. I cant imagine this car has any real power from the 318. This car is a tank. Bummer.

Looking at the bright side the 318 poly has about 20 more horse power than a similar 318 LA series with a 2BBL. But you are right, by "65 these were an entry level engine with emphasis on economy.

Dave

This was a very common engine back then. My 66 Sport Fury convert has the same engine. They aren’t a power house but are a very good engine. The car looks decent but I would have a really good look at it first. These converts had major rust issues in the trunk and rear wheel wells as well as the floors. Trust me I know!
They didn’t do a complete teardown sandblast and repaint so you really don’t know what was done. That would explain the look under the hood. Look for bondo in the rear quarters.
Let us know what you decide.

Naw a 318 can do very well. Years ago I had a 273 66 Coronet 4 door. Really nice car.

318 poly was the standard 318 until '67 when it was replaced by the LA series 318. Canadian production kept the 318 poly until '68.

Dave

Related, yet unrelated, I have a guy locally that keeps referring to poly 318's as "Canadian big blocks". I've never heard that terminology before. Is there anything to that? Thanks for letting me barge into this thread......

Related, yet unrelated, I have a guy locally that keeps referring to poly 318's as "Canadian big blocks". I've never heard that terminology before. Is there anything to that? Thanks for letting me barge into this thread......

Never heard that one before, have heard them referred to as "A" block 318's. Mopar claimed them to be small blocks despite the massive size.

Dave

Im not a Mopar guy (GM). Was considering Chevys, Buicks and Olds but then came across the Dodge C bodies, which look seem like solid built cars. I have always envied the Mopar guys and decided to look into some cars. My research indicated that the 383 is a solid motor (and good parts/performance support similar to the Chevy 350) I was hoping for atleast a 383. I wanted a fun summer cruiser with some power to the wheels. I dont think its worth my time to make the 10 hour round trip. Will be passing on this one and continuing the search. Thanks all.

This was a very common engine back then. My 66 Sport Fury convert has the same engine. They aren’t a power house but are a very good engine. The car looks decent but I would have a really good look at it first. These converts had major rust issues in the trunk and rear wheel wells as well as the floors. Trust me I know!
They didn’t do a complete teardown sandblast and repaint so you really don’t know what was done. That would explain the look under the hood. Look for bondo in the rear quarters.
Let us know what you decide.

The fact that this car shows a partial repaint in front of the garage suggests the quality of the repaint is suspect. This car is overpriced by a bunch given that the interior is weathered and the paint work under the hood is very sloppy. Correct color for the engine is "Chrysler Red" not Hemi orange. For that price it should be pretty near perfect which this car clearly is not. Looks like the chrome tim was probably not removed as part of the paint prep which indicates a quick and sloppy repaint.

Dave

As an old Chrysler parts manager, and 1-time owner of a 1966 Fury 1, 2-door-post Police Special w/318 Poly, I agree that's what it is, and that it should be red. As far as power, mine was quite adequate. I used to Drag it, and believe it or not, I was protesed for beating a 1966 Monaco w/383 2-bbl. At a 135,000-mile rebuild, it turned out to be a 318-2 Medium-Duty truck engine.

Back