Need help servicing convertible pump

jamesmac1

Reaction score
I have a 1969 Fury III convertible. The top has started going up and down more slowly. Sometimes the pump runs and runs before it ever starts to move the top. The first thing I thought I would do is to check the fluid level and top it off. So, where is the pump located and how do I check and add fluid (what kind of fluid)? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
James

pump should be behind the rear seat backrest. I have always used tranny fluid, not sure what others use. Th slow movement can be due to several things but the easiest to check is the pump and hydraulic cylinders. The lines may have to be bled as well as they operate like the brake system...any amount of air in them inhibits good operation.

I think the system is self bleeding, raise and lower the top a few times and re-check the fill level. On one end of the pump is a hole with a screw in plug, remove the plug and peak inside. The oil level should be at the level of the bottom threads. I use tranny or power steering oil, which ever is handy.

Fury440 is correct. The system is self bleeding,fill the reservoir with tranny oil until the oil starts to come back out the filler hole. It's a bit of a messy job. Put a few paper towels around the motor and reservoir before adding the oil it will save you some clean up time. I had to do this when one of my lines got old and brittle then broke

And when removing the screw do so slowly to release the excess air. This issue and others should be covered in the factory service manual. Its worth the money.

Verify that your system uses trans fluid first. Early systems used brake fluid. I'm not sure when the transition was but the two are not compatable.

Verify that your system uses trans fluid first. Early systems used brake fluid. I'm not sure when the transition was but the two are not compatable.
I read once that as a rule, 1962 and earlier used brake fluid and 62 to 67 could be either. After 1967, it was all trans fluid. I've never found anything specific about Chrysler products though.

I think if I had an earlier car, I'd flush and use trans fluid or some sort of other, less dangerous to paint, hydraulic fluid.

Back