Need some help from those that are in the know!

Thanks for all the help guys. I've spent a good bit of time looking and haven't ran across one yet. Probably 20 of them setting in a box on a shelf somewhere :)

Looks like I'm gonna deal with it myself based upon some of the suggestions from above.

Now I'm gonna go start another pesky thread in the wanted section for cheap used backseat convertible ashtrays...

Thanks for all the help guys. I've spent a good bit of time looking and haven't ran across one yet. Probably 20 of them setting in a box on a shelf somewhere :)

Looks like I'm gonna deal with it myself based upon some of the suggestions from above.

Now I'm gonna go start another pesky thread in the wanted section for cheap used backseat convertible ashtrays...
Have fun restoring it, I love to work on small stuff like that. Plus it will be one more piece of the car you are connected to

Looking more closely at your pic showing the numbers, it looks like to me that there was red paint OUTSIDE the chrome outline, silver inside, with the numbers in chrome. The chrome is hard to do with model paints, so I'd just do the red with a paint brush, and carefully clean the rest... it will look great.

Show us pics when you're done!

View attachment 249383

Spent a little time with the Dremel and some acetone this evening. We're getting there!

IMG_0031.JPG

Hood Emblem Prep.JPG

I guess Walmart decided to discontinue selling model cars and the Testers paint so I decided to go the spray can route.
Masked off each side and went to town. I have a little runoff from the red but after it dries for a couple days I'll touch it up with the brush and hit the high areas with the Dremel where the tape leaked a little. Overall I'm very happy with the outcome.

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

Last edited:
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looks pretty good! A little tip, if you just need a little paint for a brush touch up, just give a quick shot into the plastic cap and dip your brush in'it.

Back