Need some information to get my 73 440 running again

73Newyorker440

Reaction score
Hello, my 73 NYer has sat somewhere in the vicinity of 8 years or more. A lot of issues were had before it was parked resulting in the heater core being removed and placed in the trunk. The a/c line was looped on itself. The compressor is unplugged. The alternator was removed and the spacers are MIA. The fuel filter behind the alternator at the pump is missing but I'll need to run it off an auxiliary source, obviously. So my main question is will I be ok to run the belts off the a/c or should I eliminate it? Also, I did a little bit of looking around and I saw a internally rectified alternator with mount and spacers on 440source. Would this be a good option to go with while I'm already in need of spacers? While right now my concern is just to get her up and running eventually I'll need to get the a/c situation fixed for the better half and I plan to go the Sanden compressor route that many have done on the forum but wouldn't mind getting the charging system up to snuff while I'm at it as my voltage regulator and electronic module have both made a nasty leaky mess on the firewall. Thanks for any help and guidance.

A lot to unpack here...

IMHO, stay with the original replacement alternator/ regulator and leave the internal rectified alternator at Summit. Once you go off the reservation with electrical, it becomes more that has to be custom wired and figured out. This stuff is tried and true... and we are familiar and can help.. Your FSM will be able to guide you.

The spacers aren't that hard to source. It's a little screwing around, but they are repop'd for other cars and it all interchanges.

As long as the existing compressor pulley turns, just go ahead and use them with the belts the way it was set up.

BTW, do you have a FSM? (Factory Service Manual) Find a CD on eBay and download a parts manual here: Parts Manuals – MyMopar

I do not have an FSM yet. Actually a bit turned off by the general one size fits all nature of the 73 manuals. But I'm going to pick up the chassis and body manuals. I much prefer having something i can thumb through.

Thanks for the link on the brackets. I will take a look tomorrow and see if I can definitively match them up.

A lot to unpack here...

IMHO, stay with the original replacement alternator/ regulator and leave the internal rectified alternator at Summit. Once you go off the reservation with electrical, it becomes more that has to be custom wired and figured out. This stuff is tried and true... and we are familiar and can help.. Your FSM will be able to guide you.

The spacers aren't that hard to source. It's a little screwing around, but they are repop'd for other cars and it all interchanges.

As long as the existing compressor pulley turns, just go ahead and use them with the belts the way it was set up.

BTW, do you have a FSM? (Factory Service Manual) Find a CD on eBay and download a parts manual here: Parts Manuals – MyMopar
Hello, my 73 NYer has sat somewhere in the vicinity of 8 years or more. A lot of issues were had before it was parked resulting in the heater core being removed and placed in the trunk. The a/c line was looped on itself. The compressor is unplugged. The alternator was removed and the spacers are MIA. The fuel filter behind the alternator at the pump is missing but I'll need to run it off an auxiliary source, obviously. So my main question is will I be ok to run the belts off the a/c or should I eliminate it? Also, I did a little bit of looking around and I saw a internally rectified alternator with mount and spacers on 440source. Would this be a good option to go with while I'm already in need of spacers? While right now my concern is just to get her up and running eventually I'll need to get the a/c situation fixed for the better half and I plan to go the Sanden compressor route that many have done on the forum but wouldn't mind getting the charging system up to snuff while I'm at it as my voltage regulator and electronic module have both made a nasty leaky mess on the firewall. Thanks for any help and guidance.

The looped hoses are for the heater, not the A/C. That is a good thing because disconnected A/C hoses allow moisture to get into the system and that usually trashes everything from corrosion. One of my pet peeves as this makes bringing the A/C back a major PIA if it is all corroded out.. As John noted, attach the belts to the A/C compressor if the pulley still turns, leave the unit unplugged for now. You can test the compressor by putting a 1/2" socket on the clutch hub for the compressor. If you can turn the compressor two full turns, it is still free and probably can still be used. These voltage regulators often leaked the plastic resin off the back side of them, does not necessarily mean the unit is bad, but it would probably be a good idea to source a new one. As John noted, stay with the factory alternator, they are very reliable and bullet proof. Get the belts installed with the current alternator and fire the car up to see if it will still charge.

Dave

Back