New Aluminum rad...68 T/C wagon

thrashingcows

Reaction score
Been having some cooling issues in the wagon as of late. Actually it's been slowly getting worse every year for a while now. This rad I think is 44 years old...never re-cored? But can't be 100% sure of that. I know for sure it's at least 25 years old. Also noticed that the top tank on the OEM rad was starting to get a couple little cracks...guess several hundred thousand heat cycles will do that. ;)

So since I, and a few of my local car friends, have had good luck with these aluminum rads that I would give one a try. So placed the order and received it on Saturday. Then spent 4-5hours in the sweltering heat....37*C plus humidity! (105*F?) installing it.

As bought...

Engine bay with the old rad....

Old and new rad side by side.

Old rad weighs in at about 25lbs. New rad is only about 5lbs.

Old rad out...

Then I spent quite a bit of time figuring out my fan and shroud. Here is all the fans and shrouds I have to work with....

The one on the left is the combo I've been running since I got the wagon on the road. It's off some mid 70's C-body? Can't recall what it came off of. The rad I was using was from my 71 300 4dr parts car that donated the 440/auto and parts to get the wagon back on the road. I had to modify the shroud to clear the upper rad hose, and then get it to mount...but it worked well.

The new rad had a different mounting set-up for the shroud. Luckily I had the proper shroud, again from a 69 300 parts car. Has a crack I repaired on the inside, at the center top, but at least it mounted properly. Then I had to figure out if I was going to use a clutch and fan or a solid mounted fan. I went with the 7 blade solid mount since we have been in a bit of a heat wave, and we plan on using it on vacation again this year so AC cooling is a must!

Doing some nice work, I love new parts mind if I ask where you got the aluminum Rad?

New rad got a coat of satin black around the edges...

All the measurements were darn close. everything went in properly, except I had to trim off the two little tabs/ears on the inside edge of the shroud or it wouldn't sit flush. Only other issue was with the thread pattern of the studs to mount the shroud. They were some weird metric pattern. I never did figure out exactly what it was. I had to dig through my bucket or nuts to find 6 that would work.

All installed and ready to go...

I drained out 1.5 Gal of coolant, and refilled with 2.5 gal of coolant. So think the old rad had some sediment and scale build up! but the wagon seems to run smoother, and definitely cooler.

Other then the thread pattern issue on the studs it was a fairly straight forward swap, and I'm very happy with the results!

It was off E-bay. I thought it was from Champion radiators in Califonia that made it...but the box's said it was made in China. :(
That would be devastating if I saw that, But as long as it does it's job and works I guess.

doing the same thing in my 66 Charger. I called to have the original radiator re-cored. Places 450-500 bucks. So I ordered a Champion Radiator off ebay for 200. I'll keep the original one just in case I inherit a bunch of money or if I ever sell it the new owner can decide if they want the original rad. It'll be here Friday. I'll be replacing the thermostat as well. What a pain getting the A/C compressor off to get good access to one of the thermostat housing bolts.

When I tossed around between rebuilding the original and going Champion, I got a lot of flack from some members for considering the Champion.
I'm happy I finally chose to ignore the nay sayers.
As with most Champions, despite their guaranteed plug n play BS, it wasn't !! Thankfully I have a friend who is an artisan with TIG.

Good job on the rad, but are you getting your stuff ready for craigslist? :icon_biggrin:

radiator.jpg

radiator.jpg

When I tossed around between rebuilding the original and going Champion, I got a lot of flack from some members for considering the Champion.
As with most Champions, despite their guaranteed plug n play BS, it wasn't !! Thankfully I have a friend who is an artisan with TIG.

Well most things are never plug-n-play. Although things for B-Bodies usually require less massaging then parts for any year C-Body. But for half the price and the guarantee from the company i bought it from it was hard to say no. I'm not going for a concourse restoration. I just want to drive my car in the hot florida weather and not have it overheat.

QC on overseas stuff changes continually..patterns/jigs/welders can vary a lot, creating different tolerances in the same batch

Wait, you used a non stock part? I gotta sit down.

Back