New carb with 5.125 flank

Rdtreur

Reaction score
I want to replace my stock carb (1967 clean air) for a edelbrock but want use the stock air filter housing. Now I noticed that stock carb has a smaler carb to filter housing flank, so my stock filter housing is not fitting on the new carb:-(
Is there a bottom part of the filterhousing that has the 5.125 opening that fits the upper part? Or is there a other option?
Thanks Ramon

I bought a standard open element unit but put the original top on the open element base.

Not my long term solution but works for now.

The early Carters, (AFB), have a smaller throat than the later ones, (AVS). There are a few air cleaner styles that overlap and you can interchange the bases.

The "Holley-size" hole started with the '68 model year. Buy a repro '68 Road Runner air cleaner and use the base plate from it with the existing upper housing. Filter's the same diameter, so it makes an incognito open element air cleaner. OR look for a used one, which might cost as much as the repro one does. I managed to get a used one before they got really expensive, at a swap meet. That's what's on my '67 Newport 383 with a later model 4bbl carb.

CBODY67

So maybe my air cleaner base wasn’t the original one for my car because it fits my newer eddy just fine?

Back