New front wheel hub rubbing

Yes... there is about 1/16th of a difference. When I was looking, a few weeks ago, I couldn't find the measurements on sellers websites, so looks like have to buy and hope for the best.

Let me see if i can describe how I measured the drum. First measure the depth of the part of the drum where the backing plate fits into, the U-shaped part and I think it is about 1/2 inch deep. Then laid down the drum, backing plate side, or inside, facing down and measured the distance from ground to the inside of the drum, the side where the lug studs go, I believe it was about 3 15/16 on the good, original drum. So basically I measure straight down. Then subtracted the two measurements.

A quick summary of what happened. Looking at drivers brakes, noticed the drum had large crack from using torque wrench with the wrong lug stud. Bought a new drum. No problems at all. But then my Dad noticed the wheel hub assembly also cracked open on the stud hole. Hub had part number D70589 which turned out to be Wagner part number. Byron from ND, a great guy, had another D70589. I bought and installed it. My big mistake, threw out the broken hub before noticing the issue when I installed the 'new' hub. I wish I had the old/broken hub just to measure it and compare to the new one. I say 'new' because Wagner doesn't make this part anymore.
The idea was to compare the backing plates between yours and @FURYGT to see if you have the correct backing plate.

You want to figure out if the hub is right, compare it to the other side.

And.... I have to make a comment... Since I've calibrated thousands of torque wrenches (seriously), I'm a little taken back by "torque wrench with the wrong lug" comment. Don't ever use a torque wrench as a breaker bar. That's one of the best ways to ruin it..

The idea was to compare the backing plates between yours and @FURYGT to see if you have the correct backing plate.

You want to figure out if the hub is right, compare it to the other side.

And.... I have to make a comment... Since I've calibrated thousands of torque wrenches (seriously), I'm a little taken back by "torque wrench with the wrong lug" comment. Don't ever use a torque wrench as a breaker bar. That's one of the best ways to ruin it..
Oh yea...you're right. I'll compare the good/original/other hub to the Wagner hub. But I will be comparing original hub to a after market one. Looks like I'll be buying another hub or drum.

My mistake, I meant to say impact wrench not torque wrench. To crack/break the hub and drum, I'm guessing someone used a impact air wrench. If you search the internet for lug studs for my car, it says to use one size but the Wagner hub uses a different size. I bought whatever size the auto parts store said I needed but noticed it was too hard and I was using to much of my weight on the breaker bar to install the lug. That's when I broke out the micrometer and started measuring the studs.
FYI, I've also found LH and RH studs on the drivers side wheels. I bought this beautiful car as non-running or drive-able car. Towed it home and pushed it into my driveway.

JustCarbs,
Thanks for the help. I like the idea of spinning one wheel to grind the other, but I'm dealing with the front wheels.
Think I'm stuck with buying another 3inch drum and hoping for the best. I'll definitely check on their return policy before buying

Use the rear axle to machine the front drum. They are both hub centric.

I wish we walk into any parts store and get anything we needed for these old cars and return what don't fit the same day. But it just ain't that way anymore.
So, a man's got to do what a man's got to do.

How do I tell if I have 2.75 or 3in backing plates?

And I do want to think everyone for helping with this issue and generally helping everyone helping everyone else. I don't know where I'd be without some help.
Usually, you can tell if you have a shoe/backing plate mismatch by eyeballing it. 3" shoes on a 2 1/2" plate will be cocked to where the inner part of the shoe would hit the drum, but, not the outer edge of the shoe. Going the other way they would be cocked the other way. The brake shoe surface needs to be perpendicular to the backing plate. A good T-square can help determine that.

Back