New front wheel hub rubbing

I went through same problem on 70 fury with 3 inch front brakes rubbing on plate. Turned out it was drum. The one that rubbed was 4 inch deep inside and one that didnt was 3 13/16. (Pics)One was from a 70 one from 71 plymouth. Not sure about 68 but might be worth a look.

View attachment 597352

View attachment 597353
It's the drums now. If I put the drum on finger tight, loosen the bolts about 1/16th and pull the drum back, it turns without rubbing/grinding on backing plate.

You have an 11 x 3" brake drum and you need an 11 x 2.75" brake drum. My recall is that this is for the left front. I would also check the other side. The plate is called a backing plate. I have 11 x 2.75 front drums with hubs, both new and used. If you are not in a hurry, I can bring them to the Carlisle show.
The Carlisle show in July? Thanks but kinda long to wait but I'm thinking of make the trip to see other mopars and maybe get some parts.

Sounds like I had originally a wheel hub assembly for 3in shoes, but then got a hub for 2.75 shoes. I had to replace the original hub since it had a good size crack in it. The crazy part is that both hubs had D70589 part number. Wish I kept the original one. I know it was not original from 1968 and it's a Wagner D70589. I bought the car with it.
Both size brakes used the same hub, just different drums. From the factory, the drum was staked to the hub using the studs.

Both size brakes used the same hub, just different drums. From the factory, the drum was staked to the hub using the studs.
Any idea why the drum would rub against the backing plate with the 2nd hub but didn’t rub with the hub was on the car when I bought it? Both hubs had part number D70589.
I can see wear marks on the backing plate and in brake drum.
Any idea why the drum would rub against the backing plate with the 2nd hub but not with the hub that was on the car when I bought it? Both hubs had the part number of D70589, which someone on this site said is a Wagner part number. I can see wear marks on the backing plate and the drum, especially using a little paint.
Measuring it, the drum needs to come out just about 1/16th. Everything stayed the same except for the hub.

Could the bearings, that came with the hub, be wrong? I had to install the bearings myself and they seem to fit fine. Not toooo easy to bang them in but they are snug.

Any idea why the drum would rub against the backing plate with the 2nd hub but didn’t rub with the hub was on the car when I bought it? Both hubs had part number D70589.
I can see wear marks on the backing plate and in brake drum.
I believe they used a different backing plate.

I don't have a good '68 Parts book to double check it, however I did look in the '69 version and that shows 2 different plates for 2 3/4" and 3" brakes.
That would account for the difference.

Someone with a good (not the downloadable abbreviated version MyMopar has) 1968 parts manual can verify that, although I'm pretty sure about it.

Could the bearings, that came with the hub, be wrong? I had to install the bearings myself and they seem to fit fine. Not toooo easy to bang them in but they are snug.
If the bearings came as a set (A2 outer, and A6 inner), the race is fully seated and fits snug in the hub, and the cone push fits on the spindle without slop, that shouldn't be an issue. There are some slight differences between manufactures of bearings, and just the manufacturing process of casting and machining of the hub that could account for allowing the drum to rub with one combination and not another. As Big John mentioned, the backing plates are different between the 2 3/4" wide brakes and the 3" wide brakes. The backing plates have to match the drums, which have to match the shoes, which have to match the hardware. Don't try to mix and match.

If the bearings came as a set (A2 outer, and A6 inner), the race is fully seated and fits snug in the hub, and the cone push fits on the spindle without slop, that shouldn't be an issue. There are some slight differences between manufactures of bearings, and just the manufacturing process of casting and machining of the hub that could account for allowing the drum to rub with one combination and not another. As Big John mentioned, the backing plates are different between the 2 3/4" wide brakes and the 3" wide brakes. The backing plates have to match the drums, which have to match the shoes, which have to match the hardware. Don't try to mix and match.

How do I tell if I have 2.75 or 3in backing plates?

And I do want to think everyone for helping with this issue and generally helping everyone helping everyone else. I don't know where I'd be without some help.

Is the mark on the "plate" immediately behind and next to the shoe running pad surface and nowhere else on the plate? And not hitting the extreme outer edge of the plate?

Is the contact mark on the "drum" at the inner edge of the brake drum running surface next to the plate and nowhere else on the drum?

Can you show us pictures of both the drum and plate interference area?

I think you have everything you need to put the car together. But you will have to clearance the drum, not a problem. Need "good" pictures.

Don't add any shims or spacers. Big no no.

Is the mark on the "plate" immediately behind and next to the shoe running pad surface and nowhere else on the plate? And not hitting the extreme outer edge of the plate?

Is the contact mark on the "drum" at the inner edge of the brake drum running surface next to the plate and nowhere else on the drum?

I think you have everything you need to put the car together. But you will have to clearance the drum, not a problem. Need "good" pictures.

Thanks for the help. I'll look tonight and see what pics I can get and I'll double check for contact marks.

The mark is the edge of plate where it turns into the drum.

It rubs on the plate where it turns into the drum.

IMG_2993.jpeg

IMG_2992.jpeg

Not sure if this helps but here’s a pic of the left front brake assembly off my ‘68 Sport Fury for reference.

IMG_2119.jpeg

Bummer. Double whammy.

Let's assume you have the correct parts, and it still don't fit. And a maximum 1/4-inch correction to obtain a minimum 1/8 clearance is needed.

The interference at the top of the shoe positioning pin is clearance by addressing the drum. Install the drum inside out on the rear axle. With minimum pressure, grind the offending inner edge bevel of the drum as needed with a 4 1/2 or 7-inch angle grinder while you have someone spin the opposite wheel at a rapid pass. This is generally about a 5 second grind.
Don't perform the grind on a stationary non-spinning wheel. Result will be an unrecoverable loss of drum balance.

The outer edge of the plate is clearance by addressing the plate. Grind the plate outer edge as needed. Usually, a repeated trial, fit and road test ordeal.
Don't attempt to reshape the plate with a BFH. Result will be no braking force and "fast" inner shoe wear.

Or, go chasing after a batch of parts until you hit on a winner, and pay for all of them.

Good luck MR. FURYGT.
As always, if you or any member of you IM team should be captured, I will disavow any knowledge of your mission.

Not sure if this helps but here’s a pic of the left front brake assembly off my ‘68 Sport Fury for reference.

View attachment 602712

Thanks... Looks just like mine.
Probably the thing to do is flip it over and measure the distance from the face where it bolts to the spindle to the outside. It seems to me that would be the variable with the backing plates on wider shoes.

Bummer. Double whammy.

Let's assume you have the correct parts, and it still don't fit. And a maximum 1/4-inch correction to obtain a minimum 1/8 clearance is needed.

The interference at the top of the shoe positioning pin is clearance by addressing the drum. Install the drum inside out on the rear axle. With minimum pressure, grind the offending inner edge bevel of the drum as needed with a 4 1/2 or 7-inch angle grinder while you have someone spin the opposite wheel at a rapid pass. This is generally about a 5 second grind.
Don't perform the grind on a stationary non-spinning wheel. Result will be an unrecoverable loss of drum balance.

The outer edge of the plate is clearance by addressing the plate. Grind the plate outer edge as needed. Usually, a repeated trial, fit and road test ordeal.
Don't attempt to reshape the plate with a BFH. Result will be no braking force and "fast" inner shoe wear.

Or, go chasing after a batch of parts until you hit on a winner, and pay for all of them.

Good luck MR. FURYGT.
As always, if you or any member of you IM team should be captured, I will disavow any knowledge of your mission.
JustCarbs,
Thanks for the help. I like the idea of spinning one wheel to grind the other, but I'm dealing with the front wheels.
Think I'm stuck with buying another 3inch drum and hoping for the best. I'll definitely check on their return policy before buying

Probably the thing to do is flip it over and measure the distance from the face where it bolts to the spindle to the outside. It seems to me that would be the variable with the backing plates on wider shoes.
Yes... there is about 1/16th of a difference. When I was looking, a few weeks ago, I couldn't find the measurements on sellers websites, so looks like have to buy and hope for the best.

Let me see if i can describe how I measured the drum. First measure the depth of the part of the drum where the backing plate fits into, the U-shaped part and I think it is about 1/2 inch deep. Then laid down the drum, backing plate side, or inside, facing down and measured the distance from ground to the inside of the drum, the side where the lug studs go, I believe it was about 3 15/16 on the good, original drum. So basically I measure straight down. Then subtracted the two measurements.

A quick summary of what happened. Looking at drivers brakes, noticed the drum had large crack from using torque wrench with the wrong lug stud. Bought a new drum. No problems at all. But then my Dad noticed the wheel hub assembly also cracked open on the stud hole. Hub had part number D70589 which turned out to be Wagner part number. Byron from ND, a great guy, had another D70589. I bought and installed it. My big mistake, threw out the broken hub before noticing the issue when I installed the 'new' hub. I wish I had the old/broken hub just to measure it and compare to the new one. I say 'new' because Wagner doesn't make this part anymore.

Back