New guy in Atlanta

Shades

Reaction score
I've been "lurking" for some time here trying to explore all the information that's available. It's obvious I'll never be able to read everything but thank all of you for the facts AND personalities I've found so far.
Prices on 2 door vehicles is usually higher and I actually prefer the looks and usability of a 4 door. I'd like a mid sixties car with AC being the most important option here in Hotlanta.

My first question is about a '68 New Yorker.
The seller tells me the engine is an unusual 440 K. What does that "K" code signify?

The next question is regarding value. I know, crazy to set a price by a description but maybe a price range? Hagerty shows an average price of $8,900. NADA with AC avg. $7,040.

This particular car IS average. Mostly original dull paint with very little surface rust (at seams in trunk and under hood) and no evidence of bondo. Seams are even with doors opening and closing well. PW, PDL and AC still R12 with fan only blowing at low speed, stained cloth seats with no tears. One armrest torn and headliner needs work but dashcap is good. Front disc brakes and no tilt steering wheel. Front suspension has been gone through. Tires have tread but are dated. The door rubber is good as is all glass. No ticks from engine but idles a bit rough (compartment is filthy).

Please share opinions and not having owned this model before, what issues I should look for.

Welcome!

One thing about listed values, they are only a guide. Nothing set in stone, especially for "used cars". No two are identical, but a range of values might be determined over time. Do not take the high values to mean "transaction price" for the car you're considering. Any "imperfections" will result in decreases in the listed prices, for example. FEW cars are really worth of that higher #1 price, too, with most being either #2 or #3 in price level, as good as they might be. Consider #1 to be like a production-new car that has been in a hermetically sealed container since new. Work backward from that.

The "K" would be the engine code, verifying that it is either the standard 440/350 V-8 or the "high perf" 440/375. I'm not sure for that model year, but others will be. In any event, the HP will usually have some definite cosmetic items of note. As in the high-rise HP exhaust manifolds and dual exhausts, both of which could have been added to the normal 440/350 sometime in the past. The 440HP would also have a cam with more duration and lift, too. Plus possible dual snorkle air cleaner. Checking the stamp numbers on the distributor and carb would veriry those things, too, IF they are still original to the car. The 440HP would most probably also have a complimentary 3.23 rear axle ratio, unless it was ordered with the normal 2.76. Which is where the build sheet and picture of the underhood data plate could come in handy.

Key thing is to not be "motivated" into something you might have doubts about! IF the seller might get a bit "flaky" when you inquire about something, that might be a red flag, but if they fully explain things you can visually and investigationally verify, that's good. DO expect to spend more money on things that are normal replacements over time, too. Some of which might further decrease the purchase price a bit. Some things, like the stained seats, might require fabric replacement rather than just a good steam cleaning, not to forget about their age (and all that might mean).

As for "rust", I would consider Atlanta to be a more humid environment than AZ, so look under the rear trunk mat/carpet for serious perforations and such. Similar on the front rh footwell (a/c case leaks), but you might need to do that after the purchase as you don't want to take apart somebody else's car, although an exam from underneath can work too.

It can be a good adventure, just go in with your eyes wide open and sufficient funds to finance the adventure, too. You can string out the expenses over time, just don't get in too deep that you can't bail out if suddenly necessary (life issues, etc.).

Enjoy!
CBODY67

With dull paint and a stained interior, this is probably going to be a #4 car. Usually a car with a really dirty engine compartment and the other features you noted is going to be a high mileage unit, probably 100k or more. That also effects the value. That also suggests there will also be some mechanical repairs in the car's future, most notably, the timing chain will be due for replacement. Without photo's, it is difficult to estimate value, but I suspect at a #4 value, this is probably about a $3.5k car, a lot less if there is any significant rust on the underside floor panels and frame rails. Usually not an issue on a native southern car. You will be into at least $2k to replace the interior fabric and carpets, about $5k to have it painted and we still have not got to any mechanical issues that may be present. The point I am trying to make is that vintage cars can turn into a money pit pretty quickly, so go into the purchase of one with your eves open. It is always cheaper to find a nice original than to try and bring one back to nice condition.

Dave

If this is a '68 car with DISC brakes it means that they are Budd units, and if they need maintenance/replacement, it will be more challenging in terms of parts availability and $$$ for them. Great performing brakes, but don't be fooled into thinking the parts (calipers, rotors, pads) are either reasonably priced or plentiful, they are neither. Use it as a negotiating tool on price if need be. Dull paint can often be revived. Finding R12 for that AC will be a trick, and it may be better of to just convert it. Sounds like DaveaLux is pretty much on the money here. Good luck.

Thanks ... I appreciate all the great information. I'll have many more questions for the seller.
Keep it coming!

Sounds like the seller doesn't know a lot about it, but is trying to say it's a "special" 440 to make it sounds more desirable.

1968 4-door cars have an especially nice roofline, it's a good choice. Correct fabric and vinyl for these interiors are both available from SMS.

New Yorkers were "stock" with a 440 starting in '67, and even the "stock" 440 is no slouch in the pick-up department.

Lack of tilt steering wheel will be a GOOD thing if you ever have to replace the turn signal switch. My '67 doesn't have it, and I don't find myself longing for it.

Give the undercarriage a GOOD looking over. Pull up the mats in the trunk to see how the floor looks.

It will only be worth investing in if you get it cheap to begin with, and you enjoy owning/driving it. The factory disc brakes will be great to have once sorted out, and will help with that. Is it a color you like? THAT is hard to change.

Hey Shades, if you are into Mopars, and you live in Atlanta, then I'd recommend you put together a parts list and go to AMS Obsolete over in Fairmount, Ga, about an hour north of Atlanta. The place will blow your mind.

It's way back in the woods, with multiple buildings just bursting with NOS/used Moparts, and some 600 cars strewn out through the woods, it's just unreal. I highly recommend the trip.

P7290022.JPG

Hey Shades, if you are into Mopars, and you live in Atlanta, then I'd recommend you put together a parts list and go to AMS Obsolete over in Fairmount, Ga, about an hour north of Atlanta. The place will blow your mind.

It's way back in the woods, with multiple buildings just bursting with NOS/used Moparts, and some 600 cars strewn out through the woods, it's just unreal. I highly recommend the trip.

View attachment 483553
That looks like a great place to spend a day ... once the weather cools down. I'll put it on my calendar, thanks.

Back