New Ram Tailgate

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Ram calls a foul on GMC, teases new pickup feature

1422722356222.jpg

1422722357334.jpg

How much do you think Chevys new gate costs? I bet it’s a lot more than the rims and tires on it .

They have to do something so you can easily grab stuff from the floor. Tailgates and sides are just too high on the new trucks to reach over.
Why not build smaller lower to the ground trucks, like they used to be? These new trucks are ridiculously huge. And I would speculate that very few of these urban assault vehicles ever get used to haul much more than a cooler or a houseplant....

Why not build smaller lower to the ground trucks, like they used to be? These new trucks are ridiculously huge. And I would speculate that very few of these urban assault vehicles ever get used to haul much more than a cooler or a houseplant....
While we're at it, could we get all the adult Transformers fans out of the drafting chairs?

I'd like to know how they can make a split tailgate that also opens sideways strong enough to support the weight of a person or heavier without damage. Regular tailgates are rigid in the middle, supported at the ends by the metal cables, and have large, simple hinges. This design has none of these attributes.

I wonder if anyone were to actually use the truck for work how much of an impact or twist from weight would make that not work at all. The old tailgates would show signs of being over worked, but still functioned. And I bet a replacement is going to be ridiculously expensive, before the paint match.

Tail gate theft is going go up and the price tail gate replacements just sky rocketed

I'm sure it will be an option and most likely on the upper end trim levels. OEM's realize most of these vehicles are not used in the traditional truck categories and react accordingly. BTW, I like the tailgate liner/seat thing :thumbsup:. I could have made much use of that in the younger days. Only thing I'd change is to have the seats in the middle and cup holders outboard, (gets you closer to the girl).

Last edited:
I doubt this option would be popular with people that actually use the truck as an actual work truck.

I'd like to know how they can make a split tailgate that also opens sideways strong enough to support the weight of a person or heavier without damage. Regular tailgates are rigid in the middle, supported at the ends by the metal cables, and have large, simple hinges. This design has none of these attributes.
Why split it? Just use an old design instead.

upload_2019-2-5_8-28-9.jpeg

Gotta keep up with the times....
View attachment 256876

Ha! I thought of of the old ford heated tailgate joke just the other night. It was minus 29°c, I saw two of my neighbours attempting to push their frozen ford ranger on hard pack snow. I went to help and stupidly only wore unlined leather gloves. I was only out for five minutes tops, but hands against frozen steel took its toll, minor frostbite, took a very painful hour to warm up and I can still feel it in my fingertips two days later. Dropped to minus 34°c last night.

Back