New Study Regarding Relative Emissions of BEVs Compared to ICE Vehicles

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
A recent study conducted by Ford in conjunction with the University of Michigan shows the latest findings on this controversial topic:

At about 3 minutes in this video

Autoline Daily

neat ICE/BEV piece @saforwardlook .. thanks.

the "carbon footprint" of BEVs vs comparabile ICE's has gotten much better that it was projected -- for roughly this decade -- a decade AGO when I left the car biz. Progress for sure.

One thing I wasnt clear on ..did the Ford/UofM study take into account the production of electricity BY the grid (e.g., coal, NG, nuclear, wind, solar, etc)?

I heard it say they took into account regional differences in the grid -- not sure IF that meant overall carbon footprints OF those grids (e.g., West grids may have more renewable generation than East Coast grids, etc.)?

There was a study floating around as late as five years ago that indicated it was possible that (ICE carbon footprint + grid generation footprint without BEV's) could be equivalent to (BEV footprint + NEW grid generation footprint with all the BEVs). The equivalence was tons of CO2 released under either scenario.

I am NOT saying it was a good/bad study .. just saying I recall its existence. Could be all debunked/substantiated by now -- dunno.

Back