New to me Newport

Omni

Reaction score
Good Day All
Just acquired a 1965 Newport 4 door Sean. I recently sold the '71 Superbee and unfortunately I found that I needed another "project".
The Newport was found in Wisconsin and after many pics and phone calls, I took a leap of faith, flew to Wisconsin and drove it back to NW Ohio. (Took the ferry out of Milwaukee - wasn't going to drive through Chicago).
Anyway 300 miles later I pulled into the driveway; no issues along the way.
The Newport has add-on A/C don't know the make. The clutch engages and you can see movement in the sight glass. It has not been converted to R134 . The system is put together with hose clamps. The compressor is a aluminum York.
Looking for opinions/thoughts, will these compressors play well with R134, or should I up-grade to a Sanden style? I would like to keep it as original as possible. The clock shows 58K which I believe is original, judging from the overall condition of everything else.
Also, is there any package trays available? I found some for '65-66 New Yorkers, but I don't know about interchangeability.
Other then a split seat cushion and some rotted windlace the interior is pretty good for an almost 60 year old car.
Omni
1965-chrysler-newport (1).jpg

1965-chrysler-newport (27).jpg

A New Yorker of the same body/roof style should have the same rear package trim. No sedans on the 300s that year, though.

Might need to find the reason for the need for replacement first?

Great car in really nice condition! Glad you enjoyed the reliable trip!

CBODY67

CBODY 67

The package tray is faded and the sewn edges have unraveled.
Is it possible paint these? I could hand stitch the edges.
The goal is to bring the car back to its former glory, without breaking the bank.

If you don’t have water damage on the package tray and it is still relatively flat, you could likely paint it. Probably needs a good primer as the dry partial board would really suck up the paint.
I didn’t have a machine to sew the vinyl cord around my new package tray so I used adhesive to attach it to the underside of the package tray and left enough so it would come up around the edges.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Yes, that board can be painted. If not the same, it's very similar to Masonite. You can probably get some paint mixed using the part of the vinyl windlace that wsa on the bottom side, then use a PreVal sprayer unit to apply it. Mist coats rather than heavy coats might work best.

There probably is some jute padding under it, too. The padding will be pre-stamped so you can remove it for the rear speaker holes, if you want to add a rear speaker or two back there (if there is no rear heater).

Enjoy!
CBODY67

CBODY 67
Yours looks fantastic.
Once I decide on the seats (seat covers or original material {if possible}), then I will tackle that project. There may be some minor water damage as the ends appear to be stained. Once I remove it, that will tell me what way to go. My windlace isn't vinyl, its more like a nylon weave, so, if it appears that it can be re-purposed, I will attempt to match it with the darker metal trim.
Thanks for the tip.
Omni

Good Day All
Just acquired a 1965 Newport 4 door Sean. I recently sold the '71 Superbee and unfortunately I found that I needed another "project".
The Newport was found in Wisconsin and after many pics and phone calls, I took a leap of faith, flew to Wisconsin and drove it back to NW Ohio. (Took the ferry out of Milwaukee - wasn't going to drive through Chicago).
Anyway 300 miles later I pulled into the driveway; no issues along the way.
The Newport has add-on A/C don't know the make. The clutch engages and you can see movement in the sight glass. It has not been converted to R134 . The system is put together with hose clamps. The compressor is a aluminum York.
Looking for opinions/thoughts, will these compressors play well with R134, or should I up-grade to a Sanden style? I would like to keep it as original as possible. The clock shows 58K which I believe is original, judging from the overall condition of everything else.
Also, is there any package trays available? I found some for '65-66 New Yorkers, but I don't know about interchangeability.
Other then a split seat cushion and some rotted windlace the interior is pretty good for an almost 60 year old car.
OmniView attachment 460928

View attachment 460929

That's quite the difference.

Polara 71
Yes it is. I still have a '68 Bee (cloned to a A12) and a '66 GTO (tri-power 4speed).
I have always liked the styling of the 'slab sided' C bodies.

Omni

Good Day All
Got some quotes today from SMS Auto Fabrics.
They apparently can match the original seat fabric for $149/yard for the material and $79/yard for the vinyl, The windlace runs $18/yard with the foam core inside.
I haven't heard from the local re-upholster yet.
At least the material does exist.

Omni

SMS has good quality reproduction in the correct patterns. Just plan a head when ordering they are notoriously slow. What ever lead time they quote you at le double it and be surprised if it shows up any earlier.
My headliner, vinyl top and seat material all came from there. Not the least expensive game in town, but can usually get you the patterns you need.

Back