Newb with '66 Chrysler 300 Questions

Boomer

Reaction score
Howdy - new to the group, my first post. Have read for a while as a non-member but at this point, my knowledge would fit on the head of a pin.

I'm a soon-to-be new owner of a 1966 Chrysler 300 2 dr with a few issues. It won't be here until after August 6th, so I can't actually check or do anything to it but figured I'd try to get a jump on it. Planning to start drinking tonight, just as a warm up.

First problem is a non-working gas gauge. Not a huge deal, but with a 383 4bbl it could become a problem if someone forgets to tank up. It would be easy enough to check the gauge with a DVM for voltage to see if the sender is working at least, I just wanted to see if there are any known bugs or issues related to this. Hate to re-invent the wheel. All the other gauges work fine.

Second problem is, I suspect, considerably larger. The heater core drips on the floor. This can't be a good thing. I grew up around Mopar products (Fury III, Satellite, etc) but I was a dumb kid. My dad and uncle were the ones doing all the real work. I was probably off blowing the dust out of brake drums or some other equally-brilliant thing when they covered heater cores.

Reading through the Factory A/C Replacement thread, it sounds like there's no way to do this beyond dropping the whole under dash assembly. Currently the hoses are disconnected and bypassed, but that won't fly with the Mrs for long. Especially since this car will be used to drive our 2 yr old daughter to pre-school 3 days each week. Granted - heat won't be an issue here in NC for a couple months yet, but since the air compressor is off too, I'll need to deal with it sooner instead of later.

There are a few other small warts, but overall it's a cool vehicle well worth the effort. Original disc brake car with buckets, console shifter and vacuum gauge. Aside from one piece of side trim and the spare & jack, it's all there. Can't wait to get my mitts on it.

Any advice is much appreciated. Even if it's something as simple as 'drink heavily and often'.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! For starters I'll want to see pics.

Big welcome here.
How we work here is we do a jillion welcomes and we will finally get all your issues addressed.

Welcome to the site. I have restored my '66 300 and pretty much did all the work myself, happy to give input. I was in the same spot almost 3 years ago asking the questions.

Can't help with heater core, but I know it is a major pain.

Excellent! I figured my life was short on aggravation, an old car with a leaky heater core might be just the thing to level it all out.

Thanks for the welcome, guys. A month ago I was looking at '65 Ford Galaxies when I came across a '66 300 and remembered how much I loved those lines. The original Road Shark before the BMW 6 series came along. Just drop the front end a couple inches and stick a big fin on the roof.

Aside from a missing bumper jack, spare tire, and the piece of chrome trim just in front of the skirt on the passenger side, it's pretty complete and original. The windshield is cracked too, but that's a no brainer. Been looking at heater cores online tonight and discovered it's probably a dual core since it has A/C. Double the fun.

I'll try some photos and see if it takes. Will get some better ones as soon as it's here. Looks like someone had a seizure with a rattle can of gray primer but the seller says it's all faded and oxidized paint. One little bit of rust in the dog leg of the driver's front fender.

WA 300_2.jpg

Broadcast Sheet.jpg

WA 300_3.jpg

WA 300_4.jpg

Got the broadcast sheet in there by mistake, sorry about that. Meant to add a shot of the interior. Didn't see it until this morning due to the moderator's review process. Should've been in bed cutting Zs.

So here are a couple more.

WA 300_7.jpg

WA 300_8.jpg

WA 300_13.jpg

Nice!! Paint may not be pretty but it looks like not much rust!! I replaced the one on my 4 door 66... Think I found it on a site called rockauto. Sounds cheese but it worked! Hope this helps!

The sending unit that is... Also treated the tank with a kit I found at a car show for like $40.00 sending unit was $60 something so for a little over $100.00 I had a new tank.

Welcome to the site. You've got a peach for a wife if she's willing to drive a real car to daycare 3 days a week. My wife has told the kids that she won't drive my NYer when it's ready for the road. It's too big. I would recommend that you buy a Factory Service Manual. They are extremely helpful.

Nice!! Paint may not be pretty but it looks like not much rust!! I replaced the one on my 4 door 66... Think I found it on a site called rockauto. Sounds cheese but it worked! Hope this helps!

Hey, nothing sounds any way to me at this point because I don't know any better. I understand the basics well enough, but not the particulars of this car. It's a blank slate, only know what I've learned reading online here and elsewhere recently. So I appreciate the tip. A buddy suggested the same thing last night, said gauges seldom just go bad.

You've got a peach for a wife if she's willing to drive a real car to daycare 3 days a week. My wife has told the kids that she won't drive my NYer when it's ready for the road. It's too big. I would recommend that you buy a Factory Service Manual. They are extremely helpful.

Wellll.....I'll actually be the one doing the driving three mornings each week. Right now I have a 2002 Ranger w/standard cab. The safety seat takes up almost half the bench seat. That means her stroller and anything beyond a small bag on the front floor would ride in the open bed. Also, wife can't drive a standard transmission. Sooo....(he thought)....maybe it's a great excu....perfect time to get a classic car of some sort with an automatic transmission, etc etc. because the only stipulations were she had to be able to drive it 'just in case' and it had to be approximately the same money as the Ranger will bring ($3-$3.5K) so as not to molest the savings account too badly. I've managed to downplay the delivery costs so far since I don't actually have a total yet. Got a couple of early 50s Ford F-1 pickups for sale that will clear up the math once they sell.

As soon as she saw the photos she said "The first thing you're doing is getting it painted". Told her that was a big ticket item I was going to wait on. She said "I don't care, our daughter isn't going to my school (she's the school principal) in a car looking like that". So I did the only thing I could. I agreed. :D

Thanks for the manual advice. I was actually looking at them earlier. Was thrown off when I saw 'Imperial' on the cover, didn't realize it included all the C models. I'm a big fan of having the proper documentation and service data. No reason not to, these days.

You'll fit in just fine around here.

Good to know, because my mom dropped me on my head as a child. Repeatedly.

Here are some shots of the front underside. Asked the seller for shots of the sub frame areas he could get to. His contention that the car is low mileage (odometer stopped working at 49K) would seem to be true if the underside is any indication. Car was undercoated when new, but the paint is still visible on the front cross support, and you can almost see anodizing or something trying to shine through the surface rust on those big bushing cup washers.

He just put on new calipers, too.

SubFrame5.jpg

SubFrame1.jpg

SubFrame2.jpg

SubFrame4.jpg

Back