Newhall incident, book worth reading

polarus

Reaction score
A little while back MrMoparCHP started a thread showing photo's of old Mopar Cop cars (great thread.) The last photo showed a 69 CHP Polara with blood on it. I wanted to know more about this tragedy so I checked this book out from the local library, only 188 pages. Thanks again to Alan for posting the photo's. Newhall 002.jpg

Newhall 002.jpg

Yes, well worth the read.

For 10 years I drove by this location going to work, living in the area for 5 of that.
A lot has changed since 1970 but the community hasn't forgotten.

Alan

Last edited:
Back in April of 1970 four C.H.P. officers were killed in a gunfight with two heavily armed career criminals. The event changed the way Police conduct traffic stops, also after this young C.H.P. officers were paired up with a veteran officer.

Back in April of 1970 four C.H.P. officers were killed in a gunfight with two heavily armed career criminals. The event changed the way Police conduct traffic stops, also after this young C.H.P. officers were paired up with a veteran officer.

Ever read The Onion Field? Chilling to the bone.

Both excellent books...tragic incidents of course but well-written pieces.

i have a lotta respect for people who literally may have to "put it all on the line", at any time on any day for relatively little pay compared to the risks they take, to "serve and protect" in all facets of law enforcement.

Were they caught.....and executed?

Were they caught.....and executed?

one caught within hours, went through criminal justice process, jailed for life (initially he was supposed to get "gassed", so his story is interwoven with the capital punishment debate and outcomes in the early 70's--a polarizing debate that rages on today), and killed himself (so its said) in jail many years later.

the other one apparently killed himself in a follow-on hostage incident the same night.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/memorial/newhall.html

all the more tragic..all were 23 and 24 years old, all married, seven kids between them, extended families that loved them.

i vowed not to participate in "third rail" political questions online, in ANY forum. but some crimes rise to the level.... and i am gonna leave it at that.

i'll let this guy do the talkin' for me :soapbox:

one more overview... with diagrams to further tell the "how could this really happen" story of the incident.

This site does NOT have pictures of the deceased officers BUT there are some photos of the scene the next day that are NOT "suitable" for all audiences..dont page past the diagrams if you do not wanna see that stuff.

http://anorthwestpassage.blogspot.com/2012/01/newhall-incident-part-two.html

one more overview... with diagrams to further tell the "how could this really happen" story of the incident.

http://anorthwestpassage.blogspot.com/2012/01/newhall-incident-part-two.html

There was an interesting statement made here that this all started as a report of a road rage incident. That wasn't the catch phrase back then but is short that's what it was all about. Citizen reports a person brandishing a firearm, suspect located leads to the stop.

Alan

There was an interesting statement made here that this all started as a report of a road rage incident. That wasn't the catch phrase back then but is short that's what it was all about. Citizen reports a person brandishing a firearm, suspect located leads to the stop.

yep, a "road rage" incident is apparently how the whole thing started.

theres is period video on youtube by the LA Sheriffs dept to train offices in the wake of all this...heck i will just post it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX3uxchO8aU

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the CHP cars? Are they in a museum possibly?

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the CHP cars? Are they in a museum possibly?

It is my understanding they were crushed. The CHP hasn't built their own museum yet and the only storage is on the academy grounds.
This doesn't mean they are not in some deep storage but I highly doubt it.

Alan

Back