Nice NYer on FB...Engine?

Scoopy G

Reaction score
Here's a nice New Yorker for sale in Ohio, posted on FB. The the owner thought the engine was a 318, and I told him more likely a 413, or possibly a 440. Is there an engine code in the VIN?

65 NYer would have come stock with a 413. It would be a lot of work to swap-in a smallblock (318) because you'd have to swap the transmission too, and one old enough to have cable-shift as well.

The guys will chime in on the engine code, but if original, it will be a 413. The 440 wasn't in it until '66 and I can't see someone pulling the original and installing a 440.

Is it still even available? I am in central Ohio and it is no longer showing in a market place search.

I went ahead and bought the car, do not tell my wife. (I'm just joking, she will be stoked to see the car, she loves it when I buy old cars).

The car was extremely solid, just 57K miles, and the 413 purred like a kitten. The interior is extra nice (crank windows), and the body is in great shape, with just the crease on the RF fender and the ding in the rear bumper. I paid 3600, 800 to ship.

This 4-door 6-window '65 Town Sedan is exactly as long as my '67 Newport Custom Coupe, 18 feet 2-3/8". It has an aftermarket Sears AC system. How cool is that? Well, not so cool yet, but maybe I can get it to work.

65 nyer.jpg

Thanks Z, I should have the car 100% roadworthy by the time our cruising season starts down here, Nov. 1st. It already runs and drives, but of course I'll go through the pumps and hoses and rebuild the carb and brakes.

It beats sitting in the garage painting birdhouses.....

Thanks Barry, now all I need is a portrait of Elwood Engel to hang in the shop!

I went ahead and bought the car, do not tell my wife. (I'm just joking, she will be stoked to see the car, she loves it when I buy old cars).

The car was extremely solid, just 57K miles, and the 413 purred like a kitten. The interior is extra nice (crank windows), and the body is in great shape, with just the crease on the RF fender and the ding in the rear bumper. I paid 3600, 800 to ship.

This 4-door 6-window '65 Town Sedan is exactly as long as my '67 Newport Custom Coupe, 18 feet 2-3/8". It has an aftermarket Sears AC system. How cool is that? Well, not so cool yet, but maybe I can get it to work.

View attachment 482730

HOSE!

And thanks John for your kind words. Yeah, the color sure speaks 1965.

The color isn't that far off my '63 Riviera....

Riviera at Davis Isle.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure I follow you Ripinator. Are you suggesting that I was in some way underhanded in obtaining the car? Remember, I paid $1250 for my Newport! Smart is as smart does.
It's just a game some of the guys play. Whenever someone posts a picture and there is a garden hose visible in it, the first one to spot it shouts HOSE!

Congrats on purchasing that '65 NYer. It looks great!

Thanks Mike. I know I'm gonna take $hi+ from my car buddies here, one has 2 Mustangs and a Corvette...

Thanks BigCah,

I've had a lot of small foreign cars with 4 cylinders, and I liked them OK for the most part, but I realized I prefer the big '60s boats. It's great to have a forum that appreciates them as well.

Back