No Crank 66 300

Ralph Johnson

Reaction score
I currently working on a no crank situation. I am getting power into the car IE headlights work, dome lights work etc.

At the starter relay I am getting a spark whwn I touch a screw driver between the big bolt and the small one. However I am getting no crank or a very weak crank at times.

I am thinking it is the starter or sarter solenoid.

Is there another way to test if it is the starter motor or solenoid and can they be replaced separtely or must be replaced together?

Thanks for input in advance

Check battery first. Even though it lights everything up, your battery could be not providing enough current to turn the starter.

Next is the cables and especially where the cables connect to grounds on the block and at the starter. Look for obvious problems and clean the connections. So many times I've seen starters and batteries replaced when the problem was really a bad connection... Or a bad terminal.

If all that checks, you can also short the starter the same way you shorted the relay. Touch the big terminal and the small terminal on the starter.

You can pull the starter and some places like Auto Zone can test it... Same with the battery. I'm not a real fan of doing that because of a lot of reasons, including the general competence of parts guys these days, but it is an option.

One other thing... If you battery cables have these temporary replacement terminals, do yourself a favor and get new cables. These are temporary fixes that people figure are good forever. Hence the reason they have "temporary" in their name.

630698.jpg

Exactly what Big_John stated previously. You may want to see if there is an "old school" auto electric shop in your area that could rebuild your starter if that turns out to be the problem. These shops were fairly common back in the day doing rebuilds of starters, alternators & generators. I'm lucky to have one near me that I have been using since I started driving 45 years ago. The original owners 2 sons run it now and they rebuild parts better than you will get at any local parts store.

Exactly what Big_John stated previously. You may want to see if there is an "old school" auto electric shop in your area that could rebuild your starter if that turns out to be the problem. These shops were fairly common back in the day doing rebuilds of starters, alternators & generators. I'm lucky to have one near me that I have been using since I started driving 45 years ago. The original owners 2 sons run it now and they rebuild parts better than you will get at any local parts store.
What is the name of the local shop?
Thanks

One other thing... If you battery cables have these temporary replacement terminals, do yourself a favor and get new cables. These are temporary fixes that people figure are good forever. Hence the reason they have "temporary" in their name.

View attachment 578434
So how long is temporary after 30 years of being in use? I guess you know something I don't? Do tell!

This turned out to be the culprit for the no crank. I replaced the positive cable and car cranked right up. Thanks for all of your help

20230201_195308.jpg

Back