No power after changing headlight switch on 66 Fury lll

dcjoe22

Reaction score
So all my lights were working except the headlights. I changed the bright light dimmer switch on the floor with no change. I bought a new headlight switch and before I put it back in, I wanted to try it. So I turned it on and put the cable back on the battery. As soon as I did that, there was a big spark and a lot of smoke near the firewall. I immediately pulled the battery cable to access the damage. I now have no power when I turn the key on and of course nothing works. I tested from battery to solenoid and tested positive to there and to starter. Thought??

Probably burnt the fusible link up.

You'll have to replace it (easy enough) but before you do, you want to figure out where the short is.

Thanks John. Assuming replacing the fusible link wire from starter relay to connector?

Might end up taking the bulkhead connector apart and cleaning/resealing the contact terminals in it? Find that short-to-ground that let the smoke out.

CBODY67

Probably your main power wire or headlight lead going into the bulkhead connector shorted it sounds like, lucky it didnt start a fire. I would replace the bulkhead connector, check all wiring going into it on both sides of the firewall, repair, replace and clean any of the terminals and liberally use dielectric grease. I would do the ammeter bypass while already doing electrical there if you havent already. Why it suddenly decided to short then if it was working before is a mystery. I also replaced my headlight harness on mine with an aftermarket relay kit after noticing my power lead going into my headlight switch was heating up and melted the plug.

Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it. Looks like a tough one to fix this problem!

not too bad but can be a bit time consuming depending on what it ends up being, I ended up rewiring my whole car after finding a few scary shorts in my headlight switch and bulkhead connector that caused the plastic around the terminal to melt

Was the new switch the exact same design as the old one? Auto parts store switches don't work in your car.

So all my lights were working except the headlights. I changed the bright light dimmer switch on the floor with no change. I bought a new headlight switch and before I put it back in, I wanted to try it. So I turned it on and put the cable back on the battery. As soon as I did that, there was a big spark and a lot of smoke near the firewall. I immediately pulled the battery cable to access the damage. I now have no power when I turn the key on and of course nothing works. I tested from battery to solenoid and tested positive to there and to starter. Thought??
Could be the starter relay on your firewall. Had the same problem on my 65.

For my own reference, where did you buy it. I have my thoughts on this matter.
NAPA, Auto Zone or O'Reilley's. Can't remember. I know Classic Industries has and would suspect Summit and rest have. Classics has on page 521 of their catalog, $11.99. Not difficult to find.

Hi Guys and thanks for all your advice! I found my problem in that the Male contact on the bulkhead connector that the fusible link went to was cracked. I replaced it and headlights now work!! Can't tell you enough how relieved I was! Thanks again!!!

Back