No seal on a caliper bleed valve?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been doing a '73 disc brake conversion on my '66. I am down to bleeding the lines. I use a one man self bleeder. Starting at the right rear and ending a the front left caliper.

This is how I have bleeding the lines. I pump up to about 20psi and then open the bleeder. I do this several times at each wheel.

Here is the problem when I got to the last wheel to bleed it won't hold any pressure from the bleeder when I pump it up. The bleeder valve is closed and the bleeding pump is functioning fine, tested on other caliper again to be certain.

The pump memics the situation as if the bleeding valve is open. There is no brake fluid leaking anywhere and the master is still full. Also I had a very firm pedal a week ago and now there a lot of travel in the pedal. It pulls to the left when driven.

Any ideas?

Is the bleeder leaking or you can't draw a vacuum on it to open and close valve to remove air?

I would try the get a helper and bleed old fashion way.

Is the bleeder leaking or you can't draw a vacuum on it to open and close valve to remove air?

I would try the get a helper and bleed old fashion way.

I can't get a vacuum on it, I could on all the rest

I am going to have a friend come over tomorrow night and try it the old fashion way. Still makes no sense. It is like there is a crack in the valve but it looks perfectly fine

This a brand new caliper and a nice shiny new bleed valve. I would guess I should be able to just buy the bleed valve. I will try to buy one just to be sure.

I like to gravity bleed the front calipers first. Open the valve on the caliper about one turn and let it sit for about 1/2 hour. Always worked for me. If you still have problems give me a call. you do still have my number?

I like to gravity bleed the front calipers first. Open the valve on the caliper about one turn and let it sit for about 1/2 hour. Always worked for me. If you still have problems give me a call. you do still have my number?

I am going to give that a shot. My local mechanic always likes to gravity bleed, but never knew how far to open it up. Thanks for the tip I will give it a shot.

Mike: Did you get this problem fixed yet ?
Haven't had a chance to get in the shop this week. Finishing up a job left over from November, painting outside in February??? Never seen a week run of 60s in February.

I did buy another bleed screw in case something is wrong with the other. I also ordered an new Y junction for the rear lines. I feel like I have never been able to bleed the rear properly and was the only thing I didn't replace 4 years ago.

Hopefully Saturday will be the day, thanks for asking.

Haven't had a chance to get in the shop this week. Finishing up a job left over from November, painting outside in February??? Never seen a week run of 60s in February.

I did buy another bleed screw in case something is wrong with the other. I also ordered an new Y junction for the rear lines. I feel like I have never been able to bleed the rear properly and was the only thing I didn't replace 4 years ago.

Hopefully Saturday will be the day, thanks for asking.

Mighty fine. I was gonna sugest you switch bleeder screws side-to-side and see if the problem followed along. If it doesn't, perhaps there is a problem with your caliper and not the bleeder. . .

I've had "new" bleeder screws that were machined so poorly that they would not seal....had to hand file them unit I got them to seat properly and seal. So it could be a bad bleeder...or perhaps an air lock in the line that your little one man bleeder can't pull through?

Back