NOS GT exhaust tips

SCAN0235.JPG

Here is a promo picture of a '71 Sport Fury GT that I bought years ago at Mopar Nationals. Note the tailpipes. As I grew up with these cars, this is how I remember all Dodge/Plymouth C body squads and any HP C body during 1970-1973 running these style exhaust tips

I didn't either until Paul's exhaust guy dug up a factory pipe than runs from the muffler to the tip. It still had the factory part number and the Parts List agreed. The only way it would fit was down the frame rail, over the spring and then parallel to the outboard side of the frame. I looked it over on Critter's car and it sure looks happy with the strange route. It also places the tips further apart and, I think, they look better than mine which follow the frame rail.
I did look up the part number for a 71 and was surprised that it had a different part number than the 70. So that may be possible.

It's my understanding that the 71 SFGT didn't have tips though.

The 1970 HP factory tailpipe used the same frame bracket as the '70 GT. Note the GT chrome tip has a bend to it coming off the chrome end. The stock tailpipe on the HP cars used that same bend. The 1971 HP tailpipes ran next to the gas tank and came straight back w/o the bend, hence the different part numbers. I ran into all this between my '70 300 with a TNT 440 and my '71 Sport Fury GT.

Since we don't know the price, how about @Vinny just sales them to me for his asking price and I'll tell everyone what I bought them for......

Nice Score !!

As far as I am concerned, that is the score of Carlisle. Best thing I have seen purchased there so far.
And I got a heater delete plate that I've been trying to find for about 15 years.
Those tips are awesome!

What is the application for the heater delete plate? Those are relatively hard to come bye for any Mopar.

Just thinking out loud here... @QQE owns Dale's Cuda Shop that sells the E body version. I wonder if there would be enough interest to make a GT repop... As I wrote a page or two ago, I think an added bracket and pipe could make a decent version, even if the bracket was added "after the fact" so there would be a slight difference, but the tooling costs wouldn't be as high... There may be a market as an accessory type pipe tip for other C bodies. A lot of them found their way onto the 300H cars as a day 2 mod. (or did some actually have them at purchase?)

Honestly, until I read a post that they were not standard equipment on the 300 HURST, my assumption was that they were standard. The build sheet for these cars will tell the story for sure. Someone needs to check their sheet and advise.

I will call Dales to see if they may want to use these as a pattern. Like you said John, add a bracket and properly bent pipes and you have the correct 300 and GT tips.

Honestly, until I read a post that they were not standard equipment on the 300 HURST, my assumption was that they were standard. The build sheet for these cars will tell the story for sure. Someone needs to check their sheet and advise.

I will call Dales to see if they may want to use these as a pattern. Like you said John, add a bracket and properly bent pipes and you have the correct 300 and GT tips.
I think there's some discussion on if they did or didn't come with the tips. It wouldn't surprise me if some did and some didn't, but IIRC, it's been decided that they didn't, but may have been a dealer install. Enough cars had them that seeing a 300-H with the tips doesn't look out of place.

I can't help but think they might look kinda cool on my 300 vert too, but that's just more thinking out loud.

I think anyone could really take the E body repops and make them fit with a little welding and pipe fitting. I’ve heard stories that these came boxed in the trunk to be installed by the dealer or the new owner.

Here is a pic of a promo card I picked up at Carlisle. Clearly the intention was for these to be part of the package, but for some reason never made it to the final production on most examples. I can even see a hint of a cut-out valance, which would be cool to have, but I’m sure this is airbrushed in for effect.

4AB46FAB-0143-4253-BD1D-44E17F4B6401.jpeg

What is the application for the heater delete plate? Those are relatively hard to come bye for any Mopar.

The heater delete plate on ebodies were only available in Hawaii or export orders. As I am to understand it. I am no book guru so there could be USA examples.
The car was parted out in Massachusetts .
I've heard tale that some "race" ordered cars did receive the heater delete plate.
I had a chance at one for about 400 bucks but the tabs on the rear were melted down at the factory. They would either use clips to hold them on or they would melt the tabs.
The one I found is perfect and was on a cyclops style speedo car.
I just really like hard to find odd ball options.
In 20 years of being into Mopars and cars in general I have one heater block off plate and one radio block off plate.

Back