Not a "C" but it's still a 440 cop car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dads Polara had G78s on it, but that was in 75. . . .Wagons came with H's

Photo of the original tire decal on my 1972 W.S.P. Polara. Decals 004.jpg

Decals 004.jpg

The 72 C body is completely different, I just thought I'd throw it into the mix. Threads like this make me wonder about things like what year did tire size change? When did the police switch from bias ply to radial tires?

The 72 C body is completely different, I just thought I'd throw it into the mix. Threads like this make me wonder about things like what year did tire size change? When did the police switch from bias ply to radial tires?

I think it varied from carline to carline, I’d say by the early 80’s all new cars came with Radials. I doubt you’d find an American car earlier than 78 or so with them on it originally.

I doubt the Police tires were any different, yes the police tires were different from the standard tires but were probably went to radials when that car also went to radials. I could ask around as I know some people that still have old tires laying around not necessarily on a car. I have one but I do not know its history, I might be able to decipher its date code.

To MrMoparCHP: Thanks but I think there are too many variables to pin it down. I wish I had paid more attention when I was a kid as my Dad drove many of these Mopars when he was a cop in Worcester back in the day, most were small blocks but he did have a silver one with the 440.

My parents had a 77 gran fury wagon it had mid teens for mileage in1978 and I believe it had HR78-15 tires.

I think it varied from carline to carline, I’d say by the early 80’s all new cars came with Radials. I doubt you’d find an American car earlier than 78 or so with them on it originally.

I doubt the Police tires were any different, yes the police tires were different from the standard tires but were probably went to radials when that car also went to radials. I could ask around as I know some people that still have old tires laying around not necessarily on a car. I have one but I do not know its history, I might be able to decipher its date code.

My family had a '76 Buick Century,purchased new by my aunt then sold to my mom and dad in the early '80's. When I drove it in 1983 it still had the original tires and only 19k on the clock,my aunt walked to work so the car sat. They were radial tires,I had to rotate the tires to even them out while"checking the brakes"as the right rear had excessive wear! Burnouts were no problem for the 350 Buick with the open diff! The early radials had more tread grooves(like the bias tires they replaced) vs the later radials with less but wider tread grooves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back