For Sale Not Mine 1961 Chrysler New Yorker Wagon - BaT Auction - Calistoga, Calif.

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-revorNobody

Reaction score
Contact seller
Black Wagon!
At time of posting - CURRENT BID: $8,000 ENDS IN: 9 days

1961 Chrysler New Yorker Wagon - BaT Auction - Calistoga, Calif. California

BaT Description

This 1961 Chrysler New Yorker station wagon is a nine-passenger example powered by a 413ci Golden Lion V8 paired with a push-button Torqueflite three-speed automatic transmission. The car was purchased by the seller approximately 12 years ago out of Ohio, where it reportedly had been sitting for two decades. The seller subsequently refurbished the vehicle over the next eleven years with work that included repairing and refinishing the body, redoing the interior, rebuilding the drivetrain and associated components, installing front disc brakes, and replacing the front subframe. This New Yorker is now offered with assorted spare parts, a workshop manual, 1960 and 1961 Chrysler brochures, service records from current ownership, and a clean California title in the seller’s name.

Chrysler built 1,436 New Yorker station wagons for 1961, of which 760 were nine-passenger examples. The styling was a continuation of Virgil Exner’s “Forward Look” design language, and exterior features include quadruple headlamps, upswept tail fins with integrated taillights, chrome trim, and chrome-and-gold accents behind the rear wheel openings. The body of this car reportedly had rust repairs carried out under current ownership, with deteriorated portions replaced with new metal, and it was later repainted in Formal Black (B). Most of the chrome and stainless trim was replated or polished. Close-up photos showing various imperfections are provided in the gallery below.

Red vinyl upholstery (845) is paired with a matching padded dashboard and door panels over black carpeting. Amenities include air conditioning with front and rear vent controls, as well as lap belts, a dash-mounted rearview mirror, power windows, a power-adjustable front bench seat, and a Golden Touch AM radio. The seller notes that the radio and power antenna are nonfunctional.

A two-tone factory steering wheel frames a 120-mph speedometer and auxiliary gauges. The five-digit odometer displays 48k miles, approximately 1k of which have been added by the seller

This nine-passenger wagon features a fold-down rear-facing third-row bench seat. Images of corrosion in the rear footwell are provided in the gallery, which also shows the second row folded.

Power is routed to the rear wheels via a push-button three-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission. Additional photos of the underbody are provided in the gallery below. In-car driving footage is presented below.

NYW1.jpg
NYW2.jpg
NYW4.jpg
NYW7.jpg
NYW5.jpg
NYW10.jpg
NYW6.jpg
NYW3.jpg
NYW9.jpg
NYW8.jpg

Last edited:
Note, this is one of a small number of "hardtop wagons" ever produced. The vast majority had B-pillars. Chrysler Corp or otherwise.

Looks nice.
CBODY67

Be still my heart. This is my all time fave Chrysler. I'd take that over all the cars I have now, a 70 SFGT, anything.

Watching with interest, and wishing I could bid.

Be still my heart. This is my all time fave Chrysler. I'd take that over all the cars I have now, a 70 SFGT, anything.

Watching with interest, and wishing I could bid.

Dream car? I love it too! Not sure if I'd pass up a '70 SFGT for it, however it does "push all the right buttons"!

Last edited:
Fully restored, it approaches the 100k mark. This is in that weird area of restored, but awhile ago and showing it's ago. Buyer needs to get in it and enjoy it. My guess is it goes for around 50-55. Unless someone doesn't look through all the pictures and thinks the car is nicer than it is, then it may reach 65.

Fully restored, it approaches the 100k mark. This is in that weird area of restored, but awhile ago and showing it's ago. Buyer needs to get in it and enjoy it. My guess is it goes for around 50-55. Unless someone doesn't look through all the pictures and thinks the car is nicer than it is, then it may reach 65.

Excellent estimate!

That's all the money on that wagon

I'm surprised he didn't accept that. I wonder what he thinks it's worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back