WANTED Oil Dipstick Tube Needed (440/383) 69

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
It turns out the oil dipstick tube (and dipstick) are C-Body only, the reproduction ones sold will not work.

I have a dipstick but the tube is broken so I need a new one.

Alan

Did you find a dipstick / tube yet? I think I have one, let me know, John.

I used a reproduction one for my 440.......... It's a chrome tube but it works fine..........

It turns out the oil dipstick tube (and dipstick) are C-Body only, the reproduction ones sold will not work.

I have a dipstick but the tube is broken so I need a new one.

Alan

The part number is 2899897, I have checked the common NOS sources.
Here is the original, chrome is not really an option.

2014-09-08_001.jpg

2014-09-08_002.jpg

Thanks,

Alan

I sort of gave up on them as they never had anything I need that they had listed.

Alan

When I hear broken dip stick tube it bringz back ugly memoriez. Please tell us it didn't break at the base and you still have some of the tube stuck in the block!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I hear broken dip stick tube it bringz back ugly memoriez. Please tell us it didn't break at the base and you still have some of the tube stuck in the block!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it did break off in the block but was easy to remove, the small block ones can be a pain in the but not the big block. A bolt extractor usually works on the small block, the big block you can tap out from inside.

"Looks", not even close. I got one of those thinking the same thing. The jog is to the rear not away from the block and is offset about 6" not 2". I'll probably work with it rebending it as needed.

Alan

A big block with HP manifolds how many different ones could there be are you sure that one is not right and yours is just FUBAR and that's why it snapped, they all bolt up to the same motor mount bolt.

"Looks", not even close. I got one of those thinking the same thing. The jog is to the rear not away from the block and is offset about 6" not 2". I'll probably work with it rebending it as needed.

Alan

A big block with HP manifolds how many different ones could there be are you sure that one is not right and yours is just FUBAR and that's why it snapped, they all bolt up to the same motor mount bolt.

I know it isn't correct because I wasted $62 getting one.

The C-Body left manifold is different than the B-Body.

The factory parts book list a different number for the tube/dipstick.

Alan

Here's one that I pulled out of a boneyard recently. The clean one is a repro. for my 1972, the roached out one was pulled from a 383 unknown year and model. Yard guy thinks it was a Newport.dipstick 001.jpgdipstick 002.jpgdipstick 003.jpgdipstick 004.jpg

dipstick 001.jpg

dipstick 002.jpg

dipstick 003.jpg

dipstick 004.jpg

A little tweaking and the one size fits all tubes work.
Just scuff and paint the damn things and remove all the chrome where it fits into the block.
Pebble Beach correct? No.
But we aint going to pebble beach.

Here's one that I pulled out of a boneyard recently. The clean one is a repro. for my 1972, the roached out one was pulled from a 383 unknown year and model. Yard guy thinks it was a Newport.View attachment 38213

I found this one at 440 Source and ordered one.

In general on this project I am trying to make every reasonable effort to keep things original. Too many deviations from that and people start to notice. The dipstick that I first got was not even close and I thought I’d ask around and see what was out there. I have a little time before the engine goes in (week or two) so if this one is close it’ll have to do (for now). I tried to work with the other one but in trying to work out the bends I broke it where they welded the tab on.

If needed I would have got the chrome one and blasted it but I had an idea there might be a better option. As I tell people this difference will not loose the show and having the correct one will not win the show.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back