Oil, Water and Volt Gauges - Auto Meter

Mudeblue

Reaction score
Debating on what size gauges to put in my 65 Sport Fury. I have purchased the Auto Meter Sport Comp II, 2 1/16 LED See Through the Dial Lighting but after arrival I am concerned about the size. The Auto Meter Cobalt 2 5/8 also has LED Through the Dial Lighting. They both have black faces so they will match the existing instrumentation in the car. I currently have the Auto Meter 2 5/8 Ultra-Lite in my 66 GTO with incandescent lighting and think the LED will be provide better lighting while at the same time, I think the 2 5/8 might be an easier gauge to read. Therefore, my real debate is the 2 1/16 vs. the 2 5/8. At the same time, the 2 1/16 approximates the existing gauges in the car as to size. I am still inside the window where I can return the 2 1/16 and exchange for the 2 5/8 Cobalt. These are the little things you worry about when your retired and have to much time on your hands! Any experience or thoughts. Thanks.

Where are you going to mount the gauges and what are you looking to be informed about? Oil psi ,water temp ,voltage ? All I can tell you is what I did and I am happy, but I get it ,I looked long and hard and pondered what I wanted like you so this is a healthy thing!! Here is what I did to my 69 FuryIII. The 4 gauge bank are 2 1/16 and I forget the tach but not big either. Wanted them to match the interior . The vacuum gauge [far right] will eventually be replaced with a dual wide band O2 sensor.

1643081600218.jpeg

1643081663882.jpeg

1643082178805.jpeg

Last edited:
Where are you going to mount the gauges and what are you looking to be informed about? Oil psi ,water temp ,voltage ? All I can tell you is what I did and I am happy, but I get it ,I looked long and hard and pondered what I wanted like you so this is a healthy thing!! Here is what I did to my 69 FuryIII. The 4 gauge bank are 2 1/16 and I forget the tach but not big either. Wanted them to match the interior . The vacuum gauge [far right] will eventually be replaced with a dual wide band O2 sensor.

View attachment 511245
View attachment 511246

View attachment 511257
Mounting under dash, above console. Yours looks good. Mounting oil, temp and volts. Would you be happier with 2 5/8?

Mounting under dash, above console. Yours looks good. Mounting oil, temp and volts. Would you be happier with 2 5/8?

View attachment 511245
View attachment 511246

View attachment 511257

carrman's I believe are 2 5/8. I am happy with the 2 1/16 and can see them fine. Idiot lights and factory temp are working [or will be soon]. I look down when I want more detail on specific temp etc. I didn't want large gauges and wanted them to look rather stock like. On the top pic to the left side of the gauge panel is a dimmer on off switch I installed so I can dim separately from dash or turn off to my liking.

Last edited:
I purchased the Auto Meter Sport-Comp II, 2 5/8; Volt, Oil Press., Water. I want to use a Silver, Chrome or Aluminum Mounting Panel but can only find Black Aluminum in the triple mount. I have searched the internet extensively! I have that mounting panel in my GTO with 2 5/8 gauges so I know they are available but where? Any suggestions?

Good Evening
Here are a couple of Equus 2 1/16 mounted in pods in a '65 Newport
IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

I purchased the Auto Meter Sport-Comp II, 2 5/8; Volt, Oil Press., Water. I want to use a Silver, Chrome or Aluminum Mounting Panel but can only find Black Aluminum in the triple mount. I have searched the internet extensively! I have that mounting panel in my GTO with 2 5/8 gauges so I know they are available but where? Any suggestions?
Couldn't you wire brush a black aluminum panel and buff it to your liking?

Back