Ok, I'm really new and ignorant...Brakes

Dsertdog

Old man with an old guitar, and a blue note.
Reaction score
I was reading another thread (65 Monaco) and comments were made about converting the single master cylinder to a dual master cylinder.
Sine this is a great idea, I did a forum search. Is the 67 Imperial dual cylinder the one I should use? It isn't very clear, or at least head whack clear. Our 66 Polara has power brakes.
One of the pictures I saw else wheres in the forum showed a dual master cylinder with what appeared to be flat washers acting as spacers between the booster and mc. I don't want that kind of fit up!
Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction!

The '66 C-body and '67 C-body cars used the same power brake booster. The '67s came with the dual master cylinder on them (first year). Should be bolt-on swap out, I suspect. Just need to get the appropriate lines and pressure-loss valve to make it "right". Don't know why the "Imperial" might have been mentioned?

Check www.mymopar.com for a '67 era parts manual to download for an illustration. Might be a '66 on there, too, for comparison of the two illustrations. Restoration vendors can probably supply the needed brake likes that go to the master cylinder. Of a donor vehicle from a salvage yard.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

It may have been the thread was about an Imperial. This swap seems so easy it would be foolish not to do it.

I'm guessing the pressure loss valve mentioned is a proportioning valve?

The '66 C-body and '67 C-body cars used the same power brake booster. The '67s came with the dual master cylinder on them (first year). Should be bolt-on swap out, I suspect. Just need to get the appropriate lines and pressure-loss valve to make it "right". Don't know why the "Imperial" might have been mentioned?

Check www.mymopar.com for a '67 era parts manual to download for an illustration. Might be a '66 on there, too, for comparison of the two illustrations. Restoration vendors can probably supply the needed brake likes that go to the master cylinder. Of a donor vehicle from a salvage yard.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

The '67 model year had both disc and drum brakes, so be sure to find a dual pot master cylinder that is correct for your application. ie for drum brakes (most Likely). www.inlinetube.com has the brake warning valve and the appropriate tubing for the conversion.

Dave

Last edited:
It may have been the thread was about an Imperial. This swap seems so easy it would be foolish not to do it.

I'm guessing the pressure loss valve mentioned is a proportioning valve?

Mopars of that era do not use a portioning valve. The drum brake cars had a simple distribution block on the frame rail below the master. The disc cars starting in '65-'66 had a metering valve installed at left/right brake line split at the front cross member. The pressure loss valve (Brake Warning Valve) was used in place of the distribution block on the dual pot masters and it was supposed to supply a ground to the brake idiot light if there was a pressure loss in the split brake system to either the front or rear brakes (They are independent systems with the dual pot MC)

Dave

Last edited:
Napa shows the master cylinder (P1874) or new (M1878) and inline tube has the block. My mechanic owns a brake and alignment shop and can do the rest.
Thanks for your help guys!

Napa shows the master cylinder (P1874) or new (M1878) and inline tube has the block. My mechanic owns a brake and alignment shop and can do the rest.
Thanks for your help guys!
While your at it order new brake lines from Inline tube. Tell them you have a 1966, and are converting to the 1967 setup. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY.

Back