For Sale Ok you station wagon lovers,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude69300

Reaction score
Contact seller
This may be the one to buy, maybe the last one left, I thought they had all exploded into a fireball yrs ago. ( the old guys know what I am talking about) for the money he wants he must think highly of it, $4500 bucks!
It does make a good fire starter for pig roasts tho image.jpg

image.jpg

The wagons were never affected with the "exploding gas tank" problem - only the '71 - '74 hatchback cars with the pre-DOT rear bumper. You hit ANYTHING hard enough and you are likely to have a fire.

The affected hatchbacks were ordered back to the shops I think and some additional metal shield installed and actual cases with fires on rear Impact were actually not really any higher than other cars.

The pre-DOT 5-mph bumpers had a bolt that protruded far enough inboard where, in a rear-end collision, the bolt COULD penetrate the fuel tank, spark and cause a fire. As stated, a metal shield was installed during the recall of the hatchback cars that solved the problem.

The pre-DOT 5-mph bumpers had a bolt that protruded far enough inboard where, in a rear-end collision, the bolt COULD penetrate the fuel tank, spark and cause a fire. As stated, a metal shield was installed during the recall of the hatchback cars that solved the problem.

A handful of instances, yet they never were able to shed that reputation. Great little cars that ran forever, until they rusted to pieces.

I like it. There were two in my family back in the 70's. My brother with a 72 hatchback with a modified 11.0:1 compression four banger and my mother's 74 wagon. My brother's car was a terror on the roads while my mother's wagon was a dog with the auto. If this wagon had a stick and wasn't brown...

I agree with Samplingman's reply, they might have been an ok car to own mechanically, but up here in Ohio and the salt issues they would just about rust before you're eyes. A High school buddy of mine loved his little station wagon model, but it had no power and it was an automatic. It was scary getting on the freeway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back