I got a Station Wagon!

Engine, storage, and roof rack chrome. The 360 has amazing kick off the line. Very different compared to the 360 in the Polara. Actually comes across as more powerful from a dead stop.

Ambassador_1972_Brougham_wagon_021.jpg
Ambassador_1972_Brougham_wagon_023.jpg
Ambassador_1972_Brougham_wagon_027.jpg
Ambassador_1972_Brougham_wagon_024.jpg
Ambassador_1972_Brougham_wagon_025.jpg
Ambassador_1972_Brougham_wagon_029.jpg
Ambassador_1972_Brougham_wagon_019.jpg

Looking good! The car reminds me of a 4 door Ambassador that friends had. It was a very nice car. (He taught me how to drive a stick, and slalom race when I was in high school. He also had a 69 AMX with a 390, Hurst linkaged 4 speed and headers. That was AMC’s most awesome car in my opinion.

Does the Polara have a 4 barrel carburetor? The 2 barrel may provide more off the line go.

Engine, storage, and roof rack chrome. The 360 has amazing kick off the line. Very different compared to the 360 in the Polara. Actually comes across as more powerful from a dead stop.
The AMC "dogleg" heads were a HUGE difference from other engines of the decade.

You can see them on the 401 we built. Were introduced in 1971; AMC saw the compression reductions coming and this was their solution, as well as increasing sizes. The 290 became the 304, 343 the 360, and the 390 the 401.

IMG_0981.JPG

I had a red one many decades ago. 360 also.

It worked way better than you might expect. Pretty sure it had some tow package axle ratio because it would git.

Kevin

Looking good! The car reminds me of a 4 door Ambassador that friends had. It was a very nice car. (He taught me how to drive a stick, and slalom race when I was in high school. He also had a 69 AMX with a 390, Hurst linkaged 4 speed and headers. That was AMC’s most awesome car in my opinion.

Does the Polara have a 4 barrel carburetor? The 2 barrel may provide more off the line go.

My Polara is the 360-2V.

This addition helped smooth out the engine when leaving from a dead stop. Also the tendency for the idle rpm to bounce around. Probably a small vacuum leak. At the same time replaced all the missing vacuum lines that had been eliminated.

IMG_6014.JPG
IMG_6011.JPG
IMG_6010.JPG

This addition helped smooth out the engine when leaving from a dead stop. Also the tendency for the idle rpm to bounce around. Probably a small vacuum leak. At the same time replaced all the missing vacuum lines that had been eliminated.

View attachment 654270View attachment 654271View attachment 654272
That carb looks like the autolite 2bbl that powered many small block Fords. They were excellent and very reliable. Is it one or something similar?

That carb looks like the autolite 2bbl that powered many small block Fords. They were excellent and very reliable. Is it one or something similar?
AMC often used Autolite carbs. After all, AMC: All Makes of Cars. GM distributors, Ford electricals and starters, Mopar auto trans (after '71), GM steering columns. The only things truly AMC were the bodies and engine blocks.

Back