OK you truckers...

were the freightliners good?

upload_2018-9-2_23-4-37.jpeg

Freightliners were originally purpose-built trucks designed by Consolidated Freightways for their own line haul operations. Simple, barren, heavy-duty day-to-day workhorses.
Freightliners, under Mercedes, has become an entry-level cheap fleet truck.

I drove a long nose FLD for a long stretch. For a fleet truck, I loved it. Something like this.

img_VLixtAFr2rvSvaI.jpg

Hey, Dave, it's almost a Pete. :p

Last edited:
Freightliners, under Mercedes, has become an entry-level cheap fleet truck
Peterbilt has been chasing that dream for the last 20 years. The plastic fantastic fleet model (like the KW in the Swift video "Mr. I can back up") is cheaper looking than the new Freightliner
new-cascadia-image.jpg

Model_579_UltraLoft_exterior.png

Can't believe they attach a 9 in the model number to a slope nose aero truck. Glad I will never be in the market for any truck newer than 1999

There's still one good Driver's truck being made out there, although you'll still have to add cow piss.

ProductDetail_Gallery_9900i2_DT_1280x450.jpg

If you could raise the roof and move the rear wall back on your Pete....
It's just too effen small. As bad as a 70s TransStar. Jeezes...

If you could raise the roof and move the rear wall back on your Pete....
It's just too effen small. As bad as a 70s TransStar. Jeezes...
I'm short and never have a passenger so not important. I learned to drive on a Trans Star cabover so maybe that's the attachment. Besides how much room do you need in a cab your just sitting there watching the A-holes go by

Well, I'm retired. Can't believe I haven't turned a wheel in over 12 yrs. :(Seems like I just punched out yesterday. I'm woefully out of touch now and just a dynosaur.
I sit at one of the gazillion red lights on US27 with a truck on each side of me.
On the left will be a bland, white, indistinguishable, Cascadia with the driver holding a cig in his left hand and a cell phone in his right hand. On the green light, he'll pull away maddingly slow, and the computer is holding it back trying to achieve 10mpg and shifting automatically. The driver has been with the co. 6 months and think he's the balls. He'll ddrop out soon.
On the right, will be an ancient, decrepit, Freightliner under it's 8th owner,
and it's current Sad Sack driver making 30 cents a mile pulling containers.

And if I'm in a real daze, I still go for the floor shift lever by mistake in my F150...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, I'm retired. Can't believe I haven't turned a wheel in over 12 yrs. :(Seems like I just punched out yesterday
5 years ago I would have thought I would never want to not drive one of these things. Today I'm plotting a course on how to get out of it in 10 years, or at least cut down to enough to pay for health care and that's it.

How long do I have to live in Canada to get the free health care? I need to go where it's a little cooler anyway. Another week of this hot and humid, palm trees should start popping up in my front yard.

Back