One more time disc brakes

Reaction score
I seen a ad on fb marketplace will any of this work on a68 fury iii jw bc it’s right beside my house

IMG_3421.jpeg

IMG_3422.png

I'm only guessing but I would doubt that discs off an 81 truck would be of any use on a 68 Fury. Others more knowledgeable on 68 Fury's may correct me.

OK, now the penny has dropped. Sorry... not enough coffee yet...

I am not knowledgeable enough with later pickups to know fir sure whether the disk brakes from those trucks would fit on a 65 - 68 C body.

I'm pretty sure they don't, but I'm not 100% sure.

I don't think so. In my nearly 41 years of owning a '68 Fury, I can't recall ever reading about, or knowing of anyone, who used the disc brake set up from a half ton Dodge pick up on a late '60s C-body. The best results of a drum to disc conversion were done with '69-'73 C-body disc set up. I know a guy who used a Wilwood kit with good results but said if he were to do another one he would use the aforementioned Mopar swap.

How close are the balljoints to being the same between the C-body and D-pickup suspensions such that a complete brake system from the newer pickup could be swapped, rather than just the rotors?

Thanks,
CBODY67

Well apparently the guy don't even know what he has ... It's NOT a 91, more like an 81. And yes the rotors in a D150 to 1984 are the same as rotors on the 74-78 c body. Whether they'd work on an older C? I dunno. But yes again the (upper anyway) ball joints are the exact same between those trucks and a C.

If a 68 has lower ball joints like the fuselage style cars then I don't believe so. You'd have to swap the lower control arms (maybe the uppers too?) To 74-78 style. Those spindles shown are crazy high prices for sure.
What's wrong with the car as is? Disc brak a are a possibility but if the drums are in good shape they will do the job. Even brand new semis still use drums. You're getting to a point of "not worth it-ness".

Last edited:
This guy must have been smoking something good .. this was at the the Indy cylinder head swap meet the beginning of March... Definitely not worth this much.
In case it doesn't show in the pic asking price was over a grand and i didn't see any rotors, calipers, master, prop valve, etc ... might have had them behind the table. But even so ...
For that much I'd definitely keep the drum setup. I know someone who's stripping a C wagon (rotten beyond hope) not sure what he wants to do with the brake parts off of it..... I was telling him to hang onto them as spares if he was me. Haven't gotten that far yet, don't know condition of them yet anyway.

IMG_20230303_143747053.jpg

Truck calipers are the same as 74-78 c bodies not the same as the older Cs. The calipers on my 78 (b body) Fury look like the ones on my son's 72( c body) but without having one of each in my hands I'm not sure. I dok ow they take the same pads. E bodies too. These are pin style calipers, the newer C's and the trucks are slider type calipers.

truck and van stuff will not work. Here is a discussion I started about using Dakota stuff 3 years ago C-body Dakota Front Disc Brake Swap
I have gathered all the stuff necessary to do this swap and will be exploring this option this winter.I really think it will work. I don't think using 1973 spindles, ect. is viable anymore do to cost and the fact that you can't find calipers...out of stock on RockAuto for years.Maybe someone knows of a source out there?

Truck calipers are the same as 74-78 c bodies not the same as the older Cs. The calipers on my 78 (b body) Fury look like the ones on my son's 72( c body) but without having one of each in my hands I'm not sure. I dok ow they take the same pads. E bodies too. These are pin style calipers, the newer C's and the trucks are slider type calipers.

Various info:
The 69-73 calipers are technically sliding calipers, but yes, they slide on pins.
The later ones, where the caliper slides on the bracket and are held on by metal clips - those are floating calipers.
B-body calipers look similar to C-body but will not work, the B-body and F-M-J rotors are all ~1" thick, the 69-73 C-body is 1.25". The B-caliper and pads won't fit over the C-rotor.

None of the R-B rotors fit our spindles, at least 1 bearing will be different, perhaps the seal also.
Only 69-73 calipers will work on 65-73 cars when using 69-73 spindles. Unless someone can confirm the C-body floating bracket will bolt to a 69-73 disk spindle?
I have verified that the F-M-J bracket will not - but it wouldn't fit the rotor anyway.
Some of late 70s Dodge truck rotors will fit the 1973 C-spindle - that was teh reason 73 spindles were the hot ticket, 69-72 rotors were $150 each, the truck rotor was approx $50.
Must watch that the truck rotor has the correct bolt pattern - at some point trucks went to 5 on 5".
But that has changed in the past few years - 69-72 rotors came down in price.
But now reman 69-73 calipers are OOP, so we need to rebuild cores.

I have been sleuthing for 10+ years to find a combination of OEM parts that would make a nice disc retrofit under 15" wheels but no luck.
I've collected a large amount of rotor dimensions, then also handful of JY parts.
There is always at least 1 part that is a no-go. Attempted with both drum and disc spindles, too.
The factory setup has the caliper fitting tightly into a 15" room with no room for growth/error.
I've got a 17" Charger wheel for mockup, which seems to open the options immensely, but I haven't put as much effort into that.

Back