Open a 65 NYer door that does not want to open....

emmd61

Reaction score
Rear door on my 65 NYer will not open from outside or by pulling the door handle on inside. I made sure the lock was undone.
135440540_205894331185040_1741673985277582438_n.jpg
135900711_3753140808041414_8998217496863010285_n.jpg
. Should I yank the door panel off, cut a hole near the door handle on outside?

Rear door on my 65 NYer will not open from outside or by pulling the door handle on inside. I made sure the lock was undone.View attachment 446682View attachment 446683. Should I yank the door panel off, cut a hole near the door handle on outside?
I had the same problem on my 77 NYB, we finally got it opened by having my dad push the door from the inside and me pull it from the outside. I would recommend getting the inside panel off if possible, I feel that is much better than cutting the outside of the door.
Good luck,
77newyorker440

Maybe try to spray some PB blaster or other penetrating oil in the door jamb, aiming for the latch mechanism. That might help get things moving.

Don't cut the door.

Maybe try to spray some PB blaster or other penetrating oil in the door jamb, aiming for the latch mechanism. That might help get things moving.

Don't cut the door.
Had the same thing happen on a rear door on a 64 New Yorker. Probably have to remove rear seat and interior door panel.
Sprayed the **** out of the latch area with penetrant and worked the rods back and forth. Eventually it opened. Just was
stubborn and stuck.

Lube lube and more lube work it with the handle on open shove hard on the inside pushing out. Little shoulder and some wieght.

The latching mechanism inside the door is probably rusted fast. If you can get the door panel off and hit it with some penetrating oil while working the handles it'll probably come loose. Also work the lock button up and down and make sure it's actually unlocking.

The grease Chrysler used 60 years ago, just did not stand up to the test of time. It likes to act like a glue. As others have said already, remove the inner panel and sprat the latch with oil.

Had the same issue on the '66 Coronet hardtop. I removed the kick panel, which allowed smooth removal of the interior door card after removing all the door bolt-ons like handles and armrest. Now that I had full access to the door guts, the latch adjustment was ever-so-slightly out of kilter, and I was able to unlatch the door by working the inner handle and pulling slightly on the mechanism. Came right open. Once the door was open, I made the adjustment necessary to allow the door to function properly. Plus, cleaning and re-lubing of all of the moving parts! Thirty minutes of work, total.

I have the same problem with my '67 Monaco 4-dr hardtop parts car. Both rear doors are stuck solid. We have tried and tried all that has been mentioned in the posts above. Never seen anything quite like it. Both my rear doors are stuck slightly open...probably for over 20 years while setting in PO's back yard. I will continue to douse it with penetrating oil + try+repeat. As the Tin-man once said, "Oil-can!"
Thanks for posting.

One of mine was stuck like this on my 67 Newport. I used a wide thin bar between the door and and the body and pried carefully so as not to bend anything and the door opened. Problem was as described above. The lube had deteriorated to the point that the latch could not turn without some extra effort.

Back