Ozzie 383 stroker 496

itsracin

Reaction score
Hi Forum members,
I'm in Australia and have a 1965 Plymouth Fury III Wagon with a 383 with a 727 torque flight gearbox. The engine is getting tied and I have a goal in mind to be able to put this down the 1/4 mile and run a 12.99 or better once or twice. I would like to achieve this on pump fuel and naturally aspirated. I was looking at stroking the 383ci to 496ci using 440 source stroker kit.... as for heads I was looking at sticking with iron heads with Crane roller rockers and as for cam was thinking Comp cams XE290S with a 383 torker manifold with a Holley Xp carb and MSD dizzy

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful

kind regards Chad

If you want to run the 1/4 mile @ low 13s to high 12s in a full size station wagon you will need somewhere in the area of 550 plus hp. I would look into to some Trickflow 240 heads or some Performer RPMs with some mild porting work done. One advantage of running aluminum heads is they dissipate heat better than cast iron heads so you will less likely have detonation issues on pump gas. If you hope to achieve the quarter mile number that you are looking for with cast iron heads bigger valves and some major porting work is going to be required which isn't going to be cheap so in the long run it might be more economical to go with aluminum. You might want to look into the Performer RPM intake rather than the Torker intake. The peak hp between the two isn't going to be all that much different but the Performer RPM manifold will give you better low RPM power which you will need in a heavy car.

If you want to run the 1/4 mile @ low 13s to high 12s in a full size station wagon you will need somewhere in the area of 550 plus hp. I would look into to some Trickflow 240 heads or some Performer RPMs with some mild porting work done. One advantage of running aluminum heads is they dissipate heat better than cast iron heads so you will less likely have detonation issues on pump gas. If you hope to achieve the quarter mile number that you are looking for with cast iron heads bigger valves and some major porting work is going to be required which isn't going to be cheap so in the long run it might be more economical to go with aluminum. You might want to look into the Performer RPM intake rather than the Torker intake. The peak hp between the two isn't going to be all that much different but the Performer RPM manifold will give you better low RPM power which you will need in a heavy car.

Okay thank you for the advice on the heads, and will look into those...and yes good point on the manifold...I was thinking that as I have the torque to move the heavy beast that low rpm would be quite a factor until mid range to where cam would work better.

Back