Paint Talk

68Nwprt

Reaction score
What type of exterior body paint was applied from the factory for Chrysler products from early 60's to early 70's. What would be the closest material available today?

Enamel I believe. You might be able to get away with lacquer if you can find it. Else you're looking at a single stage urethane.

I'm leaning towards a single stage paint job . I would like to duplicate as close to factory look as possible.

Chrysler switched to acrylic enamel in 1967.
Depending on what you plan to do with your car ...... You going to drive it...? Then use Base/clear. Theres a reason acrylic enamels and especially lacquer has been replaced.

I used base/clear on the Admiral and if you don't final cut & buff then it looks identical to a factory, (pos), paint finish. I didn't paint the jambs and can't see the difference in shade or texture.
Advantage to base/clear is the UV protection and ease of maintenance.

The cars were finished in acrylic enamel.

You can still buy enamel paint and use a hardener. Somebody in the business can comment better on availability on the local level. I do know you can buy it online. Restoration Shop

Lacquer is pretty much gone.

I'm with Will though... Base coat/clear coat is the way to go.

Theres a reason acrylic enamels and especially lacquer has been replaced.

What are the reasons,environmental?

Base /clear is easier to apply and more forgiving, hands down. I'm trying to achieve the look of a clean survivor rather than a restored vehicle.

Agreed 2 stage base clear is the way to go but if you're looking for a more correct look, single stage is the only to get there.

The cars were finished in acrylic enamel.

You can still buy enamel paint and use a hardener. Somebody in the business can comment better on availability on the local level. I do know you can buy it online. Restoration Shop

Thanks, I think you've helped me make my decision. I've been thinking about this for a long time.

Last edited:
Back