Paint Under Vinyl Top

RKC

Reaction score
Before I install a new vinyl top I plan to sand off all the rust and prime/paint the top. What is the best primer and paint to use that will be under my vinyl top? Secondly, could I brush it on? Thanks!

I would use an Epoxy primer and then any type of catalyzed single stage. Do that and it won't rust in your lifetime and probably in your kids also. Just make sure the prep is good and all the existing rust is removed. I wouldn't try to brush it on. Spraying it would be best.

A while back, I discovered that Eastwood has a "paint roller" paint system. Kind of basic, but works, it appears.

Over the past decade, I've learned of otherwise nice cars sitting out and the top panel rusting away as the backing of the vinyl roof got damp and stayed that way for a good while before it dried out. Rust and all things bad resulted.

Once you get the rust off and things all shiny again, you might consider spraying it down with "metal prep spray" and then putting the primer on after that dries. Just an extra layer of protection, to me, but I know that many body shops sand things off and then shoot primer as soon as they can. FWIW But when we tried it that way, two weeks later rust was popping through the primer (no paint on the primer at that point). Primer is primer and a bit porous, so putting color on it probably needs to happen somewhat quickly after the primer dries. Follow the directions of the paint system you end up using.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

First off use something to kill off all the rust you can't remove and that is rust in tiny little pits. Something like Picklex 20 is what I used. Simple and I could then spray my two coats of epoxy and then two coats of color before putting on the vinyl top.

First off use something to kill off all the rust you can't remove and that is rust in tiny little pits. Something like Picklex 20 is what I used. Simple and I could then spray my two coats of epoxy and then two coats of color before putting on the vinyl top.
Thanks for your advice. Where do you purchase Picklex 20?

Thanks for your advice. Where do you purchase Picklex 20?

One can find it online from many places when googled in qt. and gal. sizes. Quart is enough or evn 16 oz. Seems a qt. is almost $100 today. I bought mine over 15 years ago.

Back