Parts that you can make work

MONC440

Reaction score
Hi guys I wanted to start a post about parts from other cars/manufactures that will work for our cars, at least I have made them work on my 70 Fury.

Now if you are a purist and want your car to look 100% like all factory parts this isn't for you.

Lots of times manufactures don't completely redesign the parts and they use an old design and just change it to improve it or make it cheaper. Or many use the same supplier for a part and just use a different connector. Most of the time they are not designing a new part from scratch. If you look up the part say on rockauto or something it will say the part is not available just because the wiring connector is different or something like that.

Some parts for my 70 I was having a hard time finding or when I did find them on fee bay were NOS and they want 10 times what I want to pay.

Here is my list so far
Brake light/cruise control switch, I used one from a 1985 Chevy Caprice, I had to change the connectors on the harness but it works.
1660527736195.png

The next one is the turn signal switch for a tilt column. I found this one at summit. The wiring is the same but the connector is just slightly shorter than the one in the car so I used a pick to release each pin from the new connector and they fit prefect into my original connector. I suggest changing one pin at a time so you don't mix them up.
1660527958551.png

The next is the power window motor. You can still get the originals but they are expensive and you have to send your core back to get a refund. I used the window motor from a 1985 Dodge truck for one of my rear regulators. It is plastic but it bolts in and is much faster than the original motors.
1660528249868.png

The last one is the power seat switch. The center knob and internal parts were broken on mine. The switch is really 3 switches put together. I found that the 1984 - 89 corvette used the same switch. Be vary careful disassembling the switch. This one is from a site called zip corvette
1660528367222.png

seat switch 1.jpeg

seat switch 2.jpeg

My 2 cents... Delcity.net Supplies packard 56 connectors and housings. Reasonable prices. Same as the original parts on 60's models. Catalog is free. Also has modern terminals/etc for newer vehicles too. Lots of useful electrical stuff.

When I replaced the sending unit and fuel pickup in my 71 Town & country the strainer was crumbling. The parts guy let me behind the counter to go through boxes until i found one that would fit. Probably work on most of the sending units for that era.

Fuel Pump Strainer Airtex FS139

Airtex FS139 Fuel Pump Strainer
for your 1998 Chevrolet Prizm 1.8L L4 Gas DOHC​

375x375_products-AEM-FS139.jpg

125x62.5_products-AEM.jpg
Brand:Airtex
Part Number:FS139
UPC:080044139737
Weight:0.05 lbs
Condition:New

On Sale:

$7.98​

Availability:45 in Stock
Warehouse:US-7
Quantity:
- +​

Add to Cart

This is going to vary from car to car, but when I wanted to replace the front seat belt bolts in my '65 Barracuda, I found that I could buy identical bolts for an early Mustang that were identical for half the price and they were chrome plated. They are different than the later bolts because of the shank and head size. I found that some GM bolts are identical to some later Mopar seat belt bolts too... and a bunch cheaper.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/amk-pro...oupe-convertible-fastback-1965-1966/p/HW1940/

1662385383405.png

New replacement lower radiator hoses don't come with internal springs. They make repop Mustang versions that would work.

FWIW - I read somewhere, I think on Rock Auto on their 'parts info' popouts, that some modern hoses don't require the spring due to the composition of the rubber, that it naturally resists sucking closed.

FWIW - I read somewhere, I think on Rock Auto on their 'parts info' popouts, that some modern hoses don't require the spring due to the composition of the rubber, that it naturally resists sucking closed.
Yea, I should have put a disclaimer that I didn't want to get into if they are needed or not... Some say they aren't necessary, some say they are.

Point being, people do look for them and sure aren't going to find them on the Mopar sites.

Hey guys,

anybody knows if there is a heater valve thats fits my 1971 Sport Fury (A/C) ? Can´t find a replacement right now....

IMG_8742.jpg

image0 (1).jpeg

Does one from this side may work? RockAuto (click me - filled in search parameters already) Can´t see why not because the functional part and "what it does" should be the same or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

anybody knows if there is a heater valve thats fits my 1971 Sport Fury (A/C) ? Can´t find a replacement right now....

View attachment 559094

View attachment 559095

Does one from this side may work? RockAuto (click me - filled in search parameters already) Can´t see why not because the functional part and "what it does" should be the same or am I missing something?
I've looked at alternatives and the biggest issue is that they usually work opposite of how the Mopar valve works, that is the valve is closed when there is no vacuum. The ones I looked at had to have vacuum to close.

Looking at yours, is the only problem the twisted off tube? That really doesn't need to be connected as it is just a pass through and really only holds the hose up. The tube would be easy to remove so it doesn't look so fugly.

Hey John,

Ok I see what you mean so I will see if I can make the vaccuum valve itself work and just skip that other tube because it’s not really needed to be functional . Very good you pointed on this . I hope the Membran inside is still working but I think I saw rebuild kit for it .

I will check first if the other tube isn’t as rusted out as the tube in front . Fingers crossed

If you care about something that works but might be 'incorrect' you should look into Universal Air Conditioning

UACProducts_HCV

Screenshot_20220919_211556.jpg

They list more valves so take a look yourself. Consult your FSM for your exact mode of operation. I got the HV 1022C last year and the vacuum pod is metal and the hose attachment is plastic but it works fine.

It's only around 7 dollars AND it's available through Rockauto

If you care about something that works but might be 'incorrect' you should look into Universal Air Conditioning

UACProducts_HCV

View attachment 559128

They list more valves so take a look yourself. Consult your FSM for your exact mode of operation. I got the HV 1022C last year and the vacuum pod is metal and the hose attachment is plastic but it works fine.

Sounds awesome !!! Price and availability! Thanks a lot

Hey guys,

View attachment 559094

View attachment 559095

I use this one on my 1971 Newport and works as it should. They are on Ebay often. Search for everco 1949
everco 1949: Search Result | eBay

Luigi

UACProducts_HCV

View attachment 559128

A couple problems.

First is the OEM valve is normally closed. That means that when there's no vacuum, there's no coolant running through the heater hose. HV1022 C is normally open.

Second issue is hose size. Chrysler used a combination of 1/2" and 5/8" hose. You can jam 1/2" on or use 5/8" and overtighten the clamps to make it work, but that's Mickey Mouse at best.

Back