Parts washing solvent, petroleum or Water based?

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have always had a parts washing solvent tank. To be fair it is only used in spurts and then sits for a few years.

I have typically used petroleum based solvents. I did try the water based concentrate type part way through my car restoration but didn’t like it as it would flash rust. On the plus side (maybe) if I soaked a part in it a few days it would remove the paint.
I switched back to petroleum based.

Now that I am rebuilding my motorcycle I am putting it back in use. I found that my tank has evaporated down and was filthy. I drained and cleaned and separated the dregs from the better and have about 4 gallons of moderately clean solvent.

Now to replace , I went to my typical sources. Wow in many cases price was 3 times what I expected. $119 for 5 gallons. If I drive 45 miles to a smaller town I can get the same stuff for $74 (5 gallons). By the way NAPA sells it for $33 a gallon. I did find Tractor Supply has it at some stores for under $60 for 5 gallons. But they don’t have it in their local stores so I would also have to drive 35 miles.

I am about ready to go back to the farm mix of diesel and gasoline, but the smell in my garage would drive me nuts, not to mention the flammability may be a little higher than solvent.

I am reluctant to use water based on engine parts and motorcycle roller bearings.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I have always had a parts washing solvent tank. To be fair it is only used in spurts and then sits for a few years.

I have typically used petroleum based solvents. I did try the water based concentrate type part way through my car restoration but didn’t like it as it would flash rust. On the plus side (maybe) if I soaked a part in it a few days it would remove the paint.
I switched back to petroleum based.

Now that I am rebuilding my motorcycle I am putting it back in use. I found that my tank has evaporated down and was filthy. I drained and cleaned and separated the dregs from the better and have about 4 gallons of moderately clean solvent.

Now to replace , I went to my typical sources. Wow in many cases price was 3 times what I expected. $119 for 5 gallons. If I drive 45 miles to a smaller town I can get the same stuff for $74 (5 gallons). By the way NAPA sells it for $33 a gallon. I did find Tractor Supply has it at some stores for under $60 for 5 gallons. But they don’t have it in their local stores so I would also have to drive 35 miles.

I am about ready to go back to the farm mix of diesel and gasoline, but the smell in my garage would drive me nuts, not to mention the flammability may be a little higher than solvent.

I am reluctant to use water based on engine parts and motorcycle roller bearings.

View attachment 636955View attachment 636955

We used to use Varsol. Not sure if you can get it anymore. Maybe they just changed the name and you can still get it.

I still use the petroleum solvent. I tried the cheaper and the off gassing smell was far far to much. I went back to a name brand more expensive but easier on the head.
I currently have Kleen Flo parts washer solvent in the washer.
1704552927994.png
I would like to try the water based again, it has been many years since I have used in a parts washer.

They say on some of the water based ones that they have rust inhibitors, so maybe they are getting better.

I drove the 40 miles to get this from TSC (Tractor Supply Co). At $20 cheaper per 5 gallons cheaper than anything I could find in Fargo, I figured I would burn the gas.

image.jpg

When in a pinch, mineral spirits is also a great cleaning solvent. Works as good as gasoline without the harsh fumes, and doesn't evaporate quickly.

So I looked up Varosl. It was made by Exxon and is the same as odorless mineral spirits.

The stuff I got from TSC doesn’t have much odor at all. And smells just like my Kleen Coat odorless mineral spirits. The fumes from my new PSC1000 solvent are much less than the fumes from my previous solvent. It doesn’t stink up the whole garage when I am washing parts.
I am happy with the results as well.

We had Safety Kleen at work for years, but as the cost kept going up, we started looking at alternatives. After the owner purchased a waste oil burner, he bought 2 parts washers from Northern tools, and we use mineral spirits, when it gets dirty, we put it in the waste oil and it gets burned. It seems to work as good as the Safety Kleen solvent did

I have used mineral spirits as well cleaning major grease off my engine parts, also good for removing old paint and prep for repaint. Worked real good for me, found at walmart. Does evaporate rather quickly left uncovered.

I have mineral spirits in mine. The same stuff has been in the tank for almost 30 years. I just scrape the goop off the bottom of the tank once in awhile. Stuff still works great even on the nastiest of parts , but does leave a dirty film afterwards once mostly cleaned. I then just do a final rinse with aerosol brake cleaner right in the same tank and then parts look new.

I have mineral spirits in mine. The same stuff has been in the tank for almost 30 years. I just scrape the goop off the bottom of the tank once in awhile. Stuff still works great even on the nastiest of parts , but does leave a dirty film afterwards once mostly cleaned. I then just do a final rinse with aerosol brake cleaner right in the same tank and then parts look new.

Hot soapy water also works well to clean the mineral spirits off the parts, but you have to get them dry. Anything that is raw steel will flash rust

Back