Petronix Flamethrower distributor on a 413 single 4 barrel

DaPoz

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a Petronix Flamethrower distributor on a 413 single 4 barrel? I have a 1964 360 HP 300K. Did you make any changes to the springs or advance limiters? Or run it as shipped?
The service manual advance specs for the dual point and kinda vague. Plus, these motors ain't new anymore!

Has anyone installed a Petronix Flamethrower distributor on a 413 single 4 barrel? I have a 1964 360 HP 300K. Did you make any changes to the springs or advance limiters? Or run it as shipped?
The service manual advance specs for the dual point and kinda vague. Plus, these motors ain't new anymore!
You need to replace the mechanical voltage regulator with an electronic one prior to any electronic ignition install. Be sure that all connections are tight and both the regulator and ignition module have a good ground.. I personally prefer the blue box Mopar electronic ignition, but it is kind of a matter of personal choice. The early flamethrower units were prone to shorting out but they have gotten better with time. There is an adjustment for the vacuum advance if that needs to be altered, usually it will be an allen screw inside the port for the vacuum advance. I would set the base timing to factory specs and see how it runs from there. A second choice would be to send the existing dual point distributor to Halifax shops and have it rebuilt to factory specs.

Dave

Just needs a 12v switched so don't worry. If I remember right the out of the box springs etc are good to go.

I can give you all the advance specs from my books. PM me. Usually a aftermarket distributor has a pretty fast curve, not great for the older RB engines.

Back