Photos of Vintage Auto Dealerships, Repair Shops, and Gas Stations

Packards

_nc_ohc=D5HS1MFfg8IAX__HCs2&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.jpg

160 W Carson St in Pittsburgh circa 1936. Area has been completely reworked today, only a portion of the cut stone wall remains. Thought the sign was humorous.
junkyard 160 W Carson st 1936a.png

My first job at 16 in 1965.
The owner was my mentor.
Taught me everything including the work ethic.

Screenshot_20230312_115216.jpg

True story.
I just finished up all my work late one afternoon and lit up a cigarette.
Owner catches me having a smoke.
Owner: WhyTF are you just standing there. Sweep up.
Me: I just swept it.
Owner: (Angry and shouting) Well get the GD broom and sweep it again.
Don't ever let me catch you standing around with your thumb up your *** like Mickey the fuggin dunce.
Never took another cigarette break again. I worked with a butt hanging out my mouth.
I loved that guy.

Last edited:
Note supports to roof, probably added because of the snow load on roof.

_nc_ohc=dp0M4IajhvcAX_v_-fk&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.jpg

Louisville Kentucky 1959

ohc-uvjr5ndxoncax-lrmd_-_nc_ht-scontent-ord5-1-jpg.jpg

Given year and major US city, I was pretty sure this station was gone. Downtown gas station, acreage alone, when one wants to build "up", makes iy economically NON-viable to use for anything but a multistory strucuture

What got my attention were the buildings across the street .. one on left looks like a 19th century church ("skinny" stained glass on lower floor, a "pointy" roof), one on right with "Madrid Garage" sign on it looked like, if still standing, it would be 100 years old (arch windows, limestone trim/lower facade).

The address that came up hit on the Madrid Garage, 539 S. Third Ave at Guthrie, Louisville. Built 1929, offices, parking, and a Ballroom on the third floor (where the arched windows are).

Now renovated, designated historical structure, its still there. Nothing else at the intersection with Guthrie (to the left in vintage pics by the church/garage sign) is still there.

The new owners/renovators did a wonderful job (kept the original marble innards, dropped ceilings for modern HVAC/Digitalization, etc.) making a viable 21st century property outta the Madrid Building.

Even the church lost its battle with Father Time and urban "progress" somewhere since 1959.

source: Madrid Ballroom Uncovered At Last
1678716947068.png

Today

madrid_tour_01.jpg
FLW 99.png
madrid_tour_14.jpg
madrid_tour_19.jpg

1678717269822.png
madrid_tour_13.jpg
madrid_tour_06.jpg

The Church. Pic below circa: 1940. Trinity Methodist.

Replaced with apartment building around 1962. The church itself razed the original building and built the apartments in its place.

They were commercially unsuccessful (there was STILL a church in the building, but likely failed due to general urban decline and NO on premises parking), resold/remoldeled in 2002, and still an apartment building.

source: Changing City: Third & Guthrie Streets

1678740153355.png

Last edited:
As it stands today, the diner has been rebuilt and the garage is now an Ice cream stand. In it's day this was a stop for the stage coach where they would change out the horses, and there was a spare stage coach in the barn out back.
IMG_2771.JPG
IMG_2770.JPG
IMG_2774.JPG

Back