For Sale Plymouth Fury III 1971 - $8500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not in a C-body? There's 100lb weight savings between small and bigblocks, too, which benefits all the rules of physics, too.

Why not in a C-body? There's 100lb weight savings between small and bigblocks, too, which benefits all the rules of physics, too.
I have noticed at higher speeds (80mph +) my small block Polara doesnt feel as stable as my 440 New Yorker did at the same speeds.

I have noticed at higher speeds (80mph +) my small block Polara doesnt feel as stable as my 440 New Yorker did at the same speeds.

Some years of the C Body 318 and slant 6 cars did not come with front sway bars, they were an option. My yellow 68 Sport Fury was originally a 318 car with no sway bar (and still has no front sway bar - not needed for my purposes) but what Chrysler did was use the torsion bars from a 440 car instead. I know this was the case during the slab side years.

Agreed - my avatar car had no swaybar and the fattest T-bars available. It was an untouched 1-owner car (but it ain't now!)

If this car was a 1970 Sport Fury, there would be a battle going on right now to see who could get it first.

Please educate me. AFAICT, there are no big difference between the '70 and '71 C-body Dodges: some folks like the '70 better, some prefer the '71's. Ditto for Polara vs. Monaco.

--> Is the difference to which you refer, related to Fury vs. SF, to '70 vs. '71, or to a combination? Why?

--> Is there a similar preference in the case of 4-door hardtops?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Please educate me. AFAICT, there are no big difference between the '70 and '71 C-body Dodges: some folks like the '70 better, some prefer the '71's. Ditto for Polara vs. Monaco.

--> Is the difference to which you refer, related to Fury vs. SF, to '70 vs. '71, or to a combination? Why?

--> Is there a similar preference in the case of 4-door hardtops?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Many people believe that ‘70 was the pinnacle of Chrysler styling and performance, myself included. There were very few changes between 70 and 71 as the economy prevented major facelifts and redesigns.

For 70, the rear end, in my opinion, is much more sleek and less cluttered. Less trim on the lights than in 71. And the bumper has a seemingly unbroken line. Where as in 71 it’s interrupted by the license plate location.
Same holds true for the 70SF grille. A sleek, unbroken line of grille that looks very stealthy. Whereas the 71 breaks it with vertical/horizontal trim.

It seems most of the products offered for the 71 year were a simple additional of needless trim to the previous year with exceptions to B-Bodies

267D5D28-9D88-454C-BEAE-DA316D1A6D41.jpeg

84BD359A-0F68-44B6-BEDE-DBE19EFE3AF7.jpeg

F6419BFF-29F9-4DD2-8CE5-86F167F7AC2B.jpeg

7D25DF07-7C36-49DC-B441-B69D4ACF8938.jpeg

Many people believe that ‘70 was the pinnacle of Chrysler styling and performance, myself included. There were very few changes between 70 and 71 as the economy prevented major facelifts and redesigns.

Thank you for the thorough response. I see a similar opinion on looks from others, including @saforwardlook, but like Steve and Dave I do see one major difference in favor of the 1971's: they have the torsion quiet ride, which the 1970's don't have.

On a more minor note, in the case of the four doors hardtops, the vent windows disappeared in 1971.

Last edited:
Holy crap! That photo of the Green '70 GT is Jake's car and in the background is the blue and white '68 VIP that I used to own before I bought it and my yellow '69 Sport Fury is also in the background when it was still a 318 car. That photo has to be from the late '90's or early 2000's.

Personally, I prefer the '71 Sport Fury/GT look over the '70 as I like the extra detail in the grill and tail lamps as well as the bolder GT stripes.

I'm torn on the 70 vs 71 GT.
Either grille is OK with me, and I like the taillights of a 71 better, but dislike the accent pad.
I like the double-bubble hood of a 71, but the stripes on a 71 are more macho. And a GT should be macho.
71 was the start of compression and horsepower loss (before the big re-rating of 1972), but 71 has the HP engine, 70 has a 'standard' T-code 440.
I like the high-back buckets of a 71 better also.

But the beauty lies that I'd take either one - and I'll likely never be able to afford either one. So just a dream. And dreams are perfect!

For 70, the rear end, in my opinion, is much more sleek and less cluttered. Less trim on the lights than in 71. And the bumper has a seemingly unbroken line. Where as in 71 it’s interrupted by the license plate location.
Same holds true for the 70SF grille. A sleek, unbroken line of grille that looks very stealthy. Whereas the 71 breaks it with vertical/horizontal trim.

It seems most of the products offered for the 71 year were a simple additional of needless trim to the previous year with exceptions to B-Bodies

View attachment 229817

View attachment 229818

View attachment 229819

View attachment 229820

I want the black Fury. Beautiful car.

Some of the high performance chrysler corp. products could be had with thicker high performance torsion bars.When chrysler 1st put them in they tended to break or snap and had to make them stronger,initially.B.B

nice car.

tangentially related question. Does that tinted film come off the glass easily? No experience with it in my lifetime .. was thinking razor blades/knives and patience? thanks.

I've not done it either but would think a heatgun would help, and yes to the razorblade.
But with car glass often being in the sun, maybe that film is baked and comes off in small flakes, which would suck.

on an episode of wheeler dealers, mike sprayed the film with water, put black trash bags on the wet windows , and left the car in the sun. the steam made the film peel right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back